Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 f250, studded, egr delete, nothing behind downpipe (cat, muffler, or pipe), with an sct tuner and i believe the low hp tune for mileage currently installed. The truck has around 90k on it. In feb, it was involved in a bad accident, causing the frame to need replacing. Before i could get the truck back, i deployed, so my family picked it up for me from the shop after everything was transferred to the new frame. They said it drove fine, and they drove it twice a week about fifteen or twenty miles each time. After about three months, my sister was driving it home, when all of a sudden it started puking black smoke, and would not go above 25 mph, and there were no lights on the dash. I do not have a monitoring system in the vehicle. When my mom started it up in place after that, it ran fine sitting still, but has not been moved since. Nobody there is very mechanically minded, so its hard to get much more info from them. I am not in a huge rush to get it fixed, but i do have to do a 4000 mile drive towing a travel trailer two weeks after getting home. I am wondering if it is likely something that i can fix reasonably quickly and without digging in too deep, or should i go ahead and have it towed to a diesel shop and pay to get it diagnosed and fixed. Btw the nearest shop or dealer is 75 miles and a ferry ride away, so even a diagnosis isnt going to be cheap. Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
It may simply be that it needs to be driven hard for 20 or 30 miles. There is a expression that a 6.0 needs to be driven like you stole it regularly.

A 6.0 that sits a lot o is putt putted around tends to develope turbo sticking until it gets run out amoung a few other things.

Without codes or actual data best guess. Their is a chance you are in limp home mode but can't tell without more data.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check all your innercooler boots, specially the one coming off the turbo, and check your pigtail to your vgt solenoid too..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. yea, i usually drive it like i stole it, but my sister pussy foots it around, and it never gets driven over 50 or for very long where she is. i think i am going to have them let is sit and not run, and risk it and work on it when i get home. i know the boots can be a probolem, and that is likely considering they were just put back on when it was worked on, and not by a diesel shop (body shop) so im sure they dont know about that tendency to pop off.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The one coming off the turbo likes to crack but will still look like its good, so you may be loosing a lot of power there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts