Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wednesday noticed black smoke and lagging take off from a stop. The black smoke goes away once the turbo spools up, however the turbo seems slow to do so. The VGT signal seems normal, .63 at idle and varies up to .20s when calling for boost. EGTs don't seem out of whack although they jump when smoking. If I slowly roll into the throttle and let boost build it doesn't smoke. Once boost builds, is at normal levels.

Last week while bringing the boat home from boat yard I heard a beep and saw check engine temperature. ECT was 245 and EOT was 240. Limped the truck the last mile home. ECT was 255 and EOT was 250 when got home. Popped the hood and noticed fan was not blowing like it should. Let it cool off, pulled and reseated fan clutch connector. Tested truck and fan worked properly. No problems with fan before that. Pulled boat in 115* up and down hills that weekend with no cooling issues. No problems cooling since then. No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. Oil level hasn't changed. Fuel pressure is normal and ICP pressure is normal.

Was running ID tow tune. Have changed to different tunes and still smokes. Reset KAM between tune changes. Haven't returned to stock yet. Runs normal otherwise. Have only run Amsoil 15w-40 since purchased about a year ago. Just changed oil 1,500 miles ago. Happens after start, not sure if goes away after warming up as I have been rolling slow into acceleration so it doesn't smoke.

Didn't have any lag or smoke issues prior. Did I cook something? What should I start checking? Was planning boating again this weekend but not until I figure out what happened.

Running SCT x4, EGR has been deleted, replaced Y-pipe and up pipe a few months back.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Sounds a lot like when my unison ring was sticking in my turbo before I asked Vivian to add a vane sweep. Looney(w/o vane sweep) was the only tune that it would start sticking after a while, and get laggy and smokey on take-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts