Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "new to me" 2013 6.7. Jus't changed the oil yesterday. Drained and replaced with 15W40 Rotella T5. Checked the dipstick to make sure it was full and the new oil was jus't as black as the old oil. Is this common on a engine with EGR and DPF or could it be something else. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Keep in mind that when you drain the oil, you don't get all of it out. For example....the oil cooler. Immediately upon startup that oil in the valleys, oil cooler, etc are going to mix with your nice new golden colored oil and turn it black instantly.

As stated.....welcome to the world of diesels. No need to worry.

·
Administrator
21,557 Posts
only real oil is black, the brown stuff is an impostor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the info. Jus't wanted to make sure since I have never had a diesel with all these emission systems on it. On my 99 7.3 it doesn't start looking dirty till it's almost time to change at 5K. Really like this 6.7 so far. Jus't hope it gives me the service my 7.3 has done, it has 445K on it now and still running strong.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Both my 6.0 and 6.7 have black oil a couple days after an oil change. The 6.0 is stock but straight piped and the 6.7 is DPF deleted, EGR is still intact but I believe the tuner closes it off as I was told to unplug it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Both my 6.0 and 6.7 have black oil a couple days after an oil change. The 6.0 is stock but straight piped and the 6.7 is DPF deleted, EGR is still intact but I believe the tuner closes it off as I was told to unplug it.
I thought ditching the EGR would keep the oil from turning black. No?

·
Registered
376 Posts
A Amsoil 2 micron bypass filter will keep your oil from turning black.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
A Amsoil 2 micron bypass filter will keep your oil from turning black.
That's also false. I run 10 micron full flow fleet guard filters, plus an amsoil bypass. Egr is deleted. Still comes out black. Screenshot_20181214-173105_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,640 Posts
It's the soot guys. It's going to get in the oil, just like it gets everywhere else there might be a small leak after combustion. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you get a filter with enough microns to filter out the soot, you'll also filter out the oil. An EGR delete does help keep it under control, but until you can stop all blow-by past the rings, your oil is going to get black.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Nope, all the EGR does is recirculate the exhaust to make sure all the fuel gets burnt.

For fun, start your truck and open your oil filler cap, you'll see exhaust or what people call "blow by" coming out of the filler.

·
california deplorable
10,504 Posts
i'm just gunna say, with my 6.0...
oil doesnt get black until almost 5k on the clock and still looks gold at 3k but this is after dong a LOT of oil changes and not being shy about changing early if i have a road trip planned or anything so... :dunno:
but mostly yea its gunna be black

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Every diesel I have changed the oil in, Powerstroke, Cummins, or Duramax the oil turns black quickly, even on 7.3 and 5.9s that don't have any emissions controls. It's completely normal for a diesel, it means the detergents in the oil are doing their job cleaning up the soot.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Nope, all the EGR does is recirculate the exhaust to make sure all the fuel gets burnt.

For fun, start your truck and open your oil filler cap, you'll see exhaust or what people call "blow by" coming out of the filler.
Yeah I get that. Its the same with any reciprocating engine until they get hot and parts expand. Only diesels oil turns black so quickly. So its just because a diesel exhaust gas is more "sootie"?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I did not know the black oil was common to a diesel. I thought black oil after a change was for the 6.0, not for the 6.7. I understand the HEUI injection the oil rails take 1 quart you can't drain and the HPOP reservoir is another 2 quarts out of 15 quarts total, so you get 20% oil leftover after each change. That's like emptying 80% of a muddy water bucket and filling it back up with distilled water expecting it to be clean with 20% muddy water left over. I thought without the HEUI injection and the 20% you can't change, you'd drain enough oil for it to run clean.

If its too clean after a change, I can't figure out when to stop adding it.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Maybe this will help explain it better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts