Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2013 f 350 with 30,000 miles
The problem I'm having is my exhaust is black with soot.
There as never been a tuner on the truck so I'm at a loss for the reason
Any ideas?
Thanks
Randh

·
Registered
211 Posts
cracked dpf most likely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went by ford dealer and the service writer said that black exhaust was normal
What do you guys see on your trucks?
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Black soot is not normal.

Diesel_forever nailed it on the head.... cracked DPF.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only reason you will have soot in your tailpipe on a stock 6.4 or 6.7 engine is a cracked DPF.

unless of course you remove the dpf all together.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
As others stated.. cracked dpf so black soot is getting through it. There should be ZERO soot on your tailpipe.

Ask to speak to a service manager or diesel tech. Service writers are just that, they write the work order/complaints. Their job is NOT to diagnose anything.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
Did anyone mention a cracked DPF? :taze:
cracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPFcracked DPF

:hehe:
:look:
:wall:
:rofl:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
My tips are full of soot too. Oh I forgot that I ripped that junk off my truck. Your is most likely a cracked DPF! LMAO!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This reminds me of the thread about the kid asking about 08+ mirrors and where to get them. At the end of the day he buys them off of ebay. I don't get why people ask for advice then do the opposite or refuse to accept the advice given.

·
Ez
442 Posts
This reminds me of the thread about the kid asking about 08+ mirrors and where to get them. At the end of the day he buys them off of ebay. I don't get why people ask for advice then do the opposite or refuse to accept the advice given.
I remember that guy.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Who didnt follow advice, I told the service manager exactly what I was told here on the forum
Thanks
Most dealers do not like to admit that forums tend to know more then them. What I have learned over the years is to instead present it as "my good friend had the same exact issue and this is what they found, please inspect it".

Reactions: Devin73 and F3502wd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took truck in to the dealer and asked them to check radiator as well since I sometimes smelled antifreeze, so I'm getting a new radiator under warranty.
Now to the real reason I brought the truck in, they said they needed a PCM recalibration before they could go any further.

What do you guys think of a PCM recalibration?
Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I think it's a cracked dpf, but hell as long as it's calibrated and cleaned under warranty rock it another week, go back same problem, they will fix it

I took my 11 f150 in for trans shifting issues, they recalibrated it 3 times before the trans went out completely, they replaced it with a brand new trans

Guess what....

I still had trans issues, the f150 is gone now

1 - 20 of 25 Posts