Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is this - why do so many different people say it is better to use bio in older IDI engines (although they have natural rubber hoses and rot out from the inside) than newer electronic injected engines? I used to have a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke which I ran bio in without any problems which was an HEUI engine. Now I have a 6.0 that I run bio in , so far , so good. I've read on this website that folks say the 7.3 or the non-Powerstroke version of the 7.3 were better engines to run on biodiesel in. Why?
When I researched getting a new truck to replace the '97 , all the '08s read ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL ONLY , while the '05-'07 6.0 said DIESEL FUEL ONLY. I realize that since all there is available at a truck stop is ULSD , that's a moot point , but I figured my 6.0 would do just fine with bio , and it is. (My wife says it really cleans up the aromatics of the exhaust.)
Maybe someone can tell me in specific terms why mechanical engines are better biodiesel burners than electronic engines.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
the explanation that i have been given is the lack of lubrication in the ULSD. bio puts back that lubricity that the older engines need. the 6.0 should be able to handle the ULSD fairly well.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
My question is this - why do so many different people say it is better to use bio in older IDI engines (although they have natural rubber hoses and rot out from the inside) than newer electronic injected engines? I used to have a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke which I ran bio in without any problems which was an HEUI engine. Now I have a 6.0 that I run bio in , so far , so good. I've read on this website that folks say the 7.3 or the non-Powerstroke version of the 7.3 were better engines to run on biodiesel in. Why?
B/c the 7.3 are a much more "solid" of an engine. 6.0Ls are more picky and more prone to issues when compared to the 7.3L(such as failure of injector -rings). There basic mechanical properties are the same. I have run 600 gallons through my truck without any issues and its a 2003 6.0L. In theory you should be able tot run biodiesel in any truck, but thr blend tollerance will vary. I run B100 in my truck so a 7.3L would run it without any issues, but is something was off spec and i jamed it in a CR style truck.. it would let you know.

When I researched getting a new truck to replace the '97 , all the '08s read ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL ONLY , while the '05-'07 6.0 said DIESEL FUEL ONLY. I realize that since all there is available at a truck stop is ULSD , that's a moot point , but I figured my 6.0 would do just fine with bio , and it is. (My wife says it really cleans up the aromatics of the exhaust.)
Maybe someone can tell me in specific terms why mechanical engines are better biodiesel burners than electronic engines.
In short they can run "crappier" quality fuel. Because of the IDI precombustion chamber design you can use off-spec fuel and still be ok. DI engines have extreme pressues and everything is done in the cylinder. IDI handels fuel outside of the cylinder and then dumps eveything in. For instance older IDI you may beable to get away without waahing the biodiesel and running it straight after glycerine seperation. Try that with any new DI engine and see what happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd rather not thank you. 2007 King Ranch F-350 sticker price - $53,000.

House cost when new in 1950 - $5,000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts