Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody. I am exploring the idea of starting a biodiesel club in NW Fort Worth. I loved the idea of making my own BioDiesel but hated the seemingly immense time and energy associated with most approaches. I would rather pay 4.15 a gallon than spend half my time making fuel that costs .80c.

Then I found this cool contraption: the BioPro150 http://www.biodieselwarehouse.com/xc...0&cat=0&page=1[/URL]

This high tech piece of equipment can make 2-3 40 gallon batches of high quality biodiesel per week. No need to go through a lot of steps, just dump the stuff in and press a button. Come back in 24 hours and press another button. Naturally convienience has a price, and I am considering starting a COOP of 6-7 to make this feasible. I have no idea if there will be any interest, but if someone else started something like this I would certainly jump at it myself. I am not sure what the monthly cost to belong would be, but I would love it to be 40-50 dollars per month. The fuel would cost approximately 1.00 per gallon in raw material (methanol etc.) You would also have to bring your own WVO to my house. I would have most of the equipment to make this easy (pumps etc) for you to use. I think they even sell a container designed to fit in a Jetta sized trunk.

Let me know what you guys think. If there is already something like this in our area that would be even better.

Steve
[email protected]BioPro 150 :: Processors :: PRODUCTS :: BiodieselWarehouse.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Lake Worth.

Crunching the numbers it would probably be about 40 a month for the coop and a little less than $40 per batch of biodiesel. Machine would make 40 gallons per batch.

The machine can make 8 batches easily per month. So I'm just trying to figure out how many people would be in the coop, what the financing terms would be for the machine etc etc.

I am thinking that on the high end it would come out to about $2.00 a gallon max when factoring in the raw material costs and the coop dues to help pay for equipment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Club as in let's share the cost. For this to be a business it would have to be on a much larger scale than this machine could handle. It can only make 320 to 580 gallons a month.

Since I don't use that much myself, and buying the machine on my own would take years to return the investment, I though it would be cool to figure out a different way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have about 4 people interested so far and room for 1 or 2 more. I changed the plan a bit. I think we will make an 80 gallon appleseed. This will eliminate the need for a monthly cost to the "club." I think I will probably have a $200 buy in. If someone wants out of the club the can get $150 back and we will open it up to a new person.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Y'all really have a great idea here:thumb:, I would like to follow this for future info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a solid at room temps. But once it's broken down, it will be fine for summer diesel. If you can find out for sure, send me a pm and I'm 99% sure I'm in.
Dirk,

Not sure how to find out for sure. The brief search i did said yes, but I am definitely a novice in this area. Send me an email [email protected] And i will include you on the emails I will be sending to everyone who has expressed an interest. I do have a need for someone to help me do some basic rewiring in the shop I will use. It is old and needs to be redone. if you have some experience in that area it would be great.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts