Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning on making my own bio fuel here in the next couple weeks but I have a few questions. I am going with the appleseed approach. First do you need to filter the bio diesel and where do I put the filter or filters in my system. Second where can I find methanol and lye? Then I was wondering if someone could explain the titration process a little better that would be great. I have done a lot of titration in my chemistry labs but I am not 100% clear on what needs to be done here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm unsure about where the filters may go as I'm planning to buy a complete system and not make one in the near future. As far as the lye and methanol, you can find lye in the plumbing aisle at home depot but if you want larger quantities go to a specialty plumbing supply store. For the small quantities (by the gallon) of methanol the easiest places to find methanol would be any local raceways or drag strips. Otherwise for large quantities (by the drum) any type of petroleum distributors should have it.(you'll probably have to look in the yellow pages)

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a very good video tutorial on titration at utahbiodieselsupply.com. He describes everything as far as formulas and then walks you through the process as he actually does it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You need to filter either when you collect the wvo or when you transfer it to your processsor. That first filtering is to get as much of the solids out so you don't use as much titrant. as for your titration, check out the biodiesel sites and when ready make a small batch of diesel first so you don't end up with a bunch of crud that you have to dispose of somehow. Good luck and HAVE FUN

·
Registered
323 Posts
check out ezbiodiesel.com they have a video on titration that should help you out. i bought one of there processors, it works great. there book is also a good read if you are thinking about biodiesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts