Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of questions about bio-diesel that I need to get answered. I really never considered bio-d until yesterday when I was offered the ability to buy some bio-d from someone who evidently has a large supply and is willing to sell it to me very cheaply and with #2 prices the way they are I have to strongly look at this. I will do alot of research on this but I know that we have a lot of knowledgeable bio-d guys here on the ORG. So here are some quick questions to get me started.

1. Is there anything special that I need to do to run bio-d in my 7.3.
2. Do I need to install any kind of special filters to filter it?
3. Are there any kind of quality tests that I should/need to run on it?
4. Are there any problems with mixing bio-d with regular #2?
5. Don't shoot me for this one but also have an 06 5.9l cr, any problems with running it in it?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. This is my first step in researching this and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as this is definately a new arena for me. Also, I will be away from the computer a lot today as it is "quality time with the family" time and if I'm going to go racing tonight, gotta get some quality time in. I'll check back in as often as possible over the weekend.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
First off, I would find out how he is making his BIO.

Is it Transversification or is he using DSE.

Transversification- is the process of using meth and other chimicals to remove the glycerine. Which is what most people do.

DSE-Diesel Secret Energy- is a secret chimical that is added to the oil to help burning, along with gasoline and Karosine to thin the mixture. The big problem is the secret chimical is known to be toxic when burned. And I have heard of people loosing injectors after switching to this.

If it is the latter of the two I would rather buy Dino even if it was $8 like in Iceland.

As for running Bio the 7.3L is a great canidate. Carry extra filters. you will go thru them fast at first (bio will clean your fuel system)

What type of oil is he using? if it was used to cook pork it will make your truck run sluggish and can even leave a sludge in your fuel system.

·
Registered
521 Posts
4. Are there any problems with mixing bio-d with regular #2?
5. Don't shoot me for this one but also have an 06 5.9l cr, any problems with running it in it?
Oh and to answer these.

You can mix bio with dino in any ratio.

And Dodge has announced that it is safe to run up to a 20% mixture in up to 07, with out voiding the factory warrenties.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, I would find out how he is making his BIO.

Is it Transversification or is he using DSE.

Transversification- is the process of using meth and other chimicals to remove the glycerine. Which is what most people do.
I believe it to be this one,but will check to make sure!!
DSE-Diesel Secret Energy- is a secret chimical that is added to the oil to help burning, along with gasoline and Karosine to thin the mixture. The big problem is the secret chimical is known to be toxic when burned. And I have heard of people loosing injectors after switching to this.
COLOR="Red"]I do not believe it is this one,but will check to make sure!![/COLOR]
If it is the latter of the two I would rather buy Dino even if it was $8 like in Iceland.
Me Too!!!!!As for running Bio the 7.3L is a great canidate. Carry extra filters. you will go thru them fast at first (bio will clean your fuel system)
Thanks for this!! I will keep an eye on the OEM filter. Maybe a pre-pump or post pump filter???What type of oil is he using? if it was used to cook pork it will make your truck run sluggish and can even leave a sludge in your fuel system.
I'll ask on this one. Very good, I had no idea it made any difference!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and to answer these.

You can mix bio with dino in any ratio.

And Dodge has announced that it is safe to run up to a 20% mixture in up to 07, with out voiding the factory warrenties.
So you are saying any ratio on the 7.3 and up to 20% on the 5.9??
Thank you very much for your replys.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You can probably run any ratio in the 5.9 but I would check with the dealer on anything over 20%. Being so new, it would suck to void the warrenty. If they would even do that.

And yes, the 7.3 can run on any ratio. I have burned 20, 50 and 100% And probably verying mixtures in between. I know several people run 100% all the time. Even in Dodge, Ford and Chevy.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I...... spend LOTS of time reading and then read it again....
..... dont try to be cheap and save a couple bucks on fuel just to produce crap biod and cost you a 5 to 10k motor....
.....and the HARDEST part is finding WVO.....
:nod::thumb:
Very wise words for anyone just starting out. I spent the better part of 4-5 months reading up on everyones opinions before making the plunge. You will find many different opinions on everything. This is a very young community (bio/wvo) and its still developing. I tend to stick to the views of people that have been doing it for several years over the know it all newcomers. If you read enough, and there is a wealth of info out there, you will develop a sense of what to believe.

The biggest advice anyone can give is to not believe every single thing you read but look for a consensus from different sources.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have spent the past week and a half here
Welcome - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Website

and here:
Make your own biodiesel: Journey to Forever

I am collecting all the parts now. spend LOTS of time reading. and then read it again beofre you start. dont try to be cheap and save a couple bucks on fuel just to produce crap biod and cost you a 5 to 10k motor....

o and the HARDEST part is finding WVO. that is my main hold up....
At this point, I'm not really that interested in making the bio-d myself. Now that may change in the future. Thanks for the links that you provided. Looks to be a lot of good info there.

Trust me, I know all too well about replacing/rebuilding motors and the expense involved and hence the reason I posted this. I have a lot of money invested in this truck and will not put anything in it until I am armed with a lot more knowledge than I currently have. I am way down at the bottom of the learning curve on this subject ( bio-d) though. Like I said in my original post, I found someone who is willing to sell me some bio-d at a price that makes it very difficult to not at least do some background research on.
Thanks for all of your help and keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
there are a couple tests you can do on the finished product that will give you an idea of how good it is. I would not put any in my truck that i bought untill I tested it. Those 2 links have some info about tests that can be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.