1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
wow thats not good idk what to say...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
That could of been any welder who worked around toxic flammable fumes. Was it the methanol or the methoxide that would have ignited it?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just stupid.

Who would have thought BIO-diesel could be explosive?!?! This should make the Darwin Awards.
This happens everyday with Bio-D...well not everyday but all the time maybe.
Careless actions have no place when working with such deadly stuff.
Just be carefull if you shoose to mess with it.
That could of been any welder who worked around toxic flammable fumes. Was it the methanol or the methoxide that would have ignited it?
Could have been either...both are flamable, the only difference is the Methodox is also fatal if inhaled.
This is nasty stuff and should not be used in a garge where it could put your entire family at risk. An insurance company might refuse payment if they found out your house burned because you had a setup in your garage also.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Yep there is no regulation in Biodiesel like there is in our industires, people get killed and there isnt much recourse about it. Granted its not happening everyday, it still happens.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
just shows you to be careful -- its as dangerous as the gasoline in your garage, the oil based paints, and all sorts of bug killers and cleaning chemicals...

just gotta be smart with what your doing, otherwise ANYTHING can kill you...

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its as dangerous as the gasoline in your garage, the oil based paints, and all sorts of bug killers and cleaning chemicals
It is a hell of alot more dangerous than those common household items.

·
Registered
235 Posts
was this a private setup? looked like an industrial accident to me. 10 meter tank?
i dont like torching barrels after ive purged them myself. dont know if i would burn on a 10 meter tank that had fuel in it period. diesel, gas, ethyl,kero, bio, meth, dont matter. that sob wouldv been filled with h2o after being bone dry for 48 hrs. sad.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Wow.. that's not good. That company should be facing some very severe penalties. Either their workers were very poorly trained, or the company was not doing a very good job enforcing safety regulations.

Either way, it's sad that a human life had to be lost.

Could have been either...both are flamable, the only difference is the Methodox is also fatal if inhaled.
This is nasty stuff and should not be used in a garge where it could put your entire family at risk. An insurance company might refuse payment if they found out your house burned because you had a setup in your garage also.
Clay... I don't want to downplay the dangers of Methodox, but lets not forget that Methanol has it's own very severe dangers. It is an anhydrous (dry) compound, that seeks to absorb water whenever possible. Methanal contact with mucus membranes can cause reactions ranging from mild irritation, to serious and permanant damage, depending on the extent, and lenght of exposure. Methanol can also cause blindness, and death if ingested.

OK.. now since that sounds like I have my tie too tight, how boaub this to lighten things up a little.

Let's all be safe out there. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I cant remember when, but a year or so ago there was a HUGE explosion ina BD plant in Meridian, Idaho..... it was the exact same thing.... welding on top of the tank and it blew up......
the sad part is..... the guy the died, I knew very well..... was my moms BF's husband.... and the ONLY thing that remained of him was his wedding ring......

so yes.... when making BD guys, BE SAFE!!!!! it hurts me to see somebody loose there life like that....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts