Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 F350 (6.7, SRW). The truck came with the FX4 package. Previously, I swapped out the stock shocks with the Rancho RS7000MTs, but they've gone bad on my twice (leaking fluid). I am considering putting in the Bilstein 5100's on all around, with the front having the part number 24-186018. My truck is stock height...and I do pull many trailers (ranging from maybe 5,000 to 16,000 lbs). My truck seams to eat shock absorbers.

Question: Will these work up front? I've heard from some retailers (XDP) they will, and others (Summit for one) they won't. I cannot get a response from Bilstein.

Thx.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in a 2013 f350 6.7 SRW, and installed these:

Bilstein 24-196284 B8 5100 Steering Damper Front B8 5100 Steering Damper
24-1860182Shock Absorber
24-1860252Shock Absorber

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in a 2013 f350 6.7 SRW, and installed these:

Bilstein 24-196284 B8 5100 Steering Damper Front B8 5100 Steering Damper
24-1860182Shock Absorber
24-1860252Shock Absorber
Thank you!!! And for clarity, you installed these on a stock (non-lifted) F350? Thx again!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The front shocks can handle up to a 2 inch level, which I do have but that won’t affect the model selection for the shocks. They are good for 0 to 2 inches of lift. Yes, F350w/FX4

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just wanted to mention the table posted says “steering damper”. Could just be formatting of the table as it looks like that heading could have come from above. Either way, I didn’t spend the time back checking the part numbers, and maybe they do also cross reference to the steering damper, but something you might want to double check. Good luck and I think you’ll be pleased with 5100’s. I replaced my OEM shocks with 25k mi on them with the 5100’s and it made a nice difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to mention the table posted says “steering damper”. Could just be formatting of the table as it looks like that heading could have come from above. Either way, I didn’t spend the time back checking the part numbers, and maybe they do also cross reference to the steering damper, but something you might want to double check. Good luck and I think you’ll be pleased with 5100’s. I replaced my OEM shocks with 25k mi on them with the 5100’s and it made a nice difference.
You are correct it's just formatting. I figured if he's replacing shocks might as well get that stock damper out of there.

24-196284 is the steering damper. 24-186018 and 24-186025 are the front and rear shocks respectively.

I

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect...and, Thank-you! I already replaced the steering dampner with the Bilstein. (At first, I replaced it with a Rancho...which went bad. I then went with Bilstein. :)).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank-you again. :) BTW- I already have the Bilstein Dampner. :) I replaced the stock dampner with a Rancho (which went bad), and then went with Bilstein. Thx again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK...Here's an update...for those interested. I just installed the Bilstein 5100 on my stock height F350. The difference in very noticeable, and a huge improvement. I'll be towing a heavy trailer (14,xxx lbs 5'er) next week. Can't wait to see how the truck does.

I'm one happy camper. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I called Bilstein a few weeks year ago and the gentlemen I spoke with strongly recommended the 4600's for a non-lifted truck even though the 5100 description says 0-2" lift. He said that the 4600's will perform better than the 5100's on the stock height truck. A year later they seem to be working just fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Bilstein a few weeks year ago and the gentlemen I spoke with strongly recommended the 4600's for a non-lifted truck even though the 5100 description says 0-2" lift. He said that the 4600's will perform better than the 5100's on the stock height truck. A year later they seem to be working just fine.
I heard similarly... but not from Bilstein (I had a rough time getting in touch with them). I do pull many trailers...most are 5er's in the 11,xxx to 14,xxx lbs range (lots of hitch weight). For me, I was looking for something which would handle the heavier weights a bit better... I was much less concerned about a stiff ride. For me, I think the 5100 may be the better choice. (I also have a 109 gal. auxiliary fuel tank in my bed which also adds weight.) My truck seems to eat shocks...especially the right rear (probably due to it being close to the exhaust pipe).

After doing a little research, the 4600 and 5100 are very similar...with the biggest difference (other than color and dust boot) is the valving.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update: So, I pulled a fairlly heavy 5er (+14,000 lbs) with the 5100 Bilsteins all around. This was the best the truck ever rode pulling something this heavy. (I think the hitch weight was around 2,500 lbs, and I do have a 109 auxiliary fuel tank in the bed. I also have Timbren SES's in the back.

The truck does have a fairly firm (firmer) ride than before without the trailer... but for me, it's fine. I'd definitely recommend the Bilstein 5100's for stock height if you pull heavy stuff fairly often. :)
NorthPoint_1.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts