Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing a lot of good about the 5100s I decided to put a set on. I have to say I am really disappointed in the ride. Going down the highway I can feel every expansion joint in the road and the truck rides like a bucking bull. It's much worse than the stock ride, and it wasn't the best in the world. Is there a way to adjust these or are they just really stiff?
I understand this is a heavy duty truck, but since installing the new shocks the ride is really annoying down the highway. Are the adjustable rancho shocks any better?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was thinking about getting some so interested in hearing some discussion.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the 5100 single stabilizer and really like it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Did you get them valved specifically to your pickup i heard thats suppose to help

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not get them valved specifically to my truck. I just told the 4 wheel parts guy what my truck was and he gave me these. What I have noticed is if you are really working the shocks or on washboarding they are great but for down the road not so much. Maybe I was just expecting too much. My brother has very stiff valved ranchos on his dmax and it rides about like that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
read a lot the 5160s were better.
The 5160s are pretty nice. I have them up front, nice ride.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah I dont find the 5100s that great either, and roads here are ****ing awful too....

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
The 5160s are pretty nice. I have them up front, nice ride.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
my truck came with the 5100's, it does ride rough on the highway...how do you compare the 5100's to the 5160's?

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
5100's on my truck are about the same as stock. Maybe slightly more stiff since they are new and my stockers were worn out. But I do drive an 8000lb truck, not a cadillac. But when I hook up to a heavy gooseneck this truck is a smooth riding machine.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I run the 5100's and I like the ride. They are nice on dirt roads, and on the interstate they arent to bad. I have them on all four corners as well as a dual steering stabilizer with them. I really wanted the 5160's for the front of my truck, but they were sold out at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tally this subject to another one of those things that is hit and miss. I hear guys that absolutely love them and they ride great and others say they ride worse. I thought they would be a good upgrade based upon most of the guys that have them like them. I will however be going with the 5160's up front.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I bought four 5100 and a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers today. I was up in the air as to get the 5160 or the 5100 and the price difference wasn't significant enough to make that a deciding factor. From my understanding, the 5100 have a 2 year warranty compared to the month or two month warranty period on the 5160. The 5160 seems like it's more of a custom application shock that does involve some extra maintenance. Bilstein does sell a rebuild kit but it also takes a couple hours to rebuild. Therefore, a new 5160 is more or less the same cost. As far as ride quality is concerned, I was told that the 5160 is more of an offroad shock and will have a stiffer ride than the 5100. So, I basically went off the shop's recommendation to get the 5100. I don't see why they'd say that the 5100 is a worse shock as most shops would prefer to up-sell on the more expensive product but the 5100 is the cheaper of the two shocks I was looking at. Personally, I am one of those "set it and forget" type people that isn't interested in dialing in something to perfection. After all, it is a one ton truck, I have airbags so the ride can't get much rougher, and their are potholes here that will swallow a sedan without a problem.

·
Registered
994 Posts
this thread confuses me...what is the best shock? does anyone really know?!?

Wish the engineers would chime in here...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
this thread confuses me...what is the best shock? does anyone really know?!?

Wish the engineers would chime in here...
Opinions are like as$holes. Everyone's got one. For $95 a shock, I suppose I can afford to make a mistake. Don't think they can ride worse than the OEM Rancho shocks that came with the FX4 package but who knows. Guess I'll find out shortly.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i hear ya Alberta. no negativity or offense intended. you're right...everyone has an opinion--but at the end of the day, it's an 8K+ lb truck...what do people expect? if you want a caddy ride, by a gasser/caddy. if not, then expect a superduty ride!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm thinking about getting some 5100's and was wondering if they would ride better than my revtek shocks that came with my lift which are pretty soft but the ride isn't that bad. Anyone have experience with both? And dont they have 5100's that are valved specifically for the super duty?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm thinking about getting some 5100's and was wondering if they would ride better than my revtek shocks that came with my lift which are pretty soft but the ride isn't that bad. Anyone have experience with both? And dont they have 5100's that are valved specifically for the super duty?
Yes topgunz performance sells them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the 5100's and am 100% happy with them. Way nicer than the factory Rancho's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts