Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 97 7.3 with 131k on it. I've done intake, exhaust, wicked wheel, gauges, HPX, and e-fuel. I plan on doing a CNC Stage 1 HPOP this winter and possibly injectors too. My question is, whats the biggest I can go on a stock E4OD. The tranny itself is in great shape and was rebuilt by Ford about 20k miles ago. I'm not looking to build a race truck, I just want a little more pep in my daily driving. I've looked at 180cc stage ones but don't wanna be buying a new tranny every year. Any input or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
It really depends on your driving habits and tuning. I strongly believe the tunes on my truck have made the trans last as long as it has with no major issues.

That being said, @[email protected] will be your best bet on input these days.

If you're looking for driveability and reliability then a 1.0 exhaust housing would pair perfectly with that billet wheel and really improve MPG, towing and throttle response around town.

Do you have tunes already?

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
If you don't want to change tunes and want to save the trans then stick with 160/0 injectors. That's what i'm going with and honestly ANYTHING is better than stock injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have done this, went with 180 injectors. Tony W chip. Absolutely loved it.

Burnt up my torque converter on the first decent two trip.

Beyond that, I did Sonnax spring kit. This was all 50k or so ago. Thinking my trans is probably near the end I tore into it and it actually looks like brand new inside. I did find some wear on the direct clutch but nothing bad or burnt.

I am going back together with high quality parts from racerX and doing the Tugger HD2 kit. I am completely confident that I will have no more trans problems. (not that I ever really did)

Do the tranny mods, put a temp sensor in and just pay attention to it. But you will burn up the Torque conveter so start planning for that.

·
Hate stupid people
8,536 Posts
put an aftermarket TC and a 6.0 trans cooler in. Then get some 160/00 injectors and roll on.

·
Vendor
12,913 Posts
It really depends on your driving habits and tuning. I strongly believe the tunes on my truck have made the trans last as long as it has with no major issues.

That being said, @[email protected] will be your best bet on input these days.

If you're looking for driveability and reliability then a 1.0 exhaust housing would pair perfectly with that billet wheel and really improve MPG, towing and throttle response around town.

Do you have tunes already?
What he said. ^^^^^ and add the KC turbine s300 wheel to go with the billet wheel.

Sorry I haven't been on here lately to help out, but it has been non stop in the shop with a few larger customer builds and keeping up with in house built parts.

I have all the stuff in stock too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts