Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a big problem on my hands guys. I just picked up an 2004 6.0, 70k on the clock, never had anything done to it except exhaust, so I am told. I drove the rig 140 miles, pulled up to a stop light....to a really rough idle. limped through the light, truck died about 200ft from light. wouldnt restart at first. let it sit for awhile, started it back up to find white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and not clearing up at all. I shut it down after about 8 seconds. pulled the dipstick to find a smell I was hoping wouldnt be there, coolant. How many options are there for whats wrong and will it running for that short time make things worse than I am assuming they already are? thanks for any and all help. I have had this truck for not even 48 hours, not a good way to start things off with my powerstroke!!

·
Tennessee Powerstrokes
2,830 Posts
I think I have a big problem on my hands guys. I just picked up an 2004 6.0, 70k on the clock, never had anything done to it except exhaust, so I am told. I drove the rig 140 miles, pulled up to a stop light....to a really rough idle. limped through the light, truck died about 200ft from light. wouldnt restart at first. let it sit for awhile, started it back up to find white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and not clearing up at all. I shut it down after about 8 seconds. pulled the dipstick to find a smell I was hoping wouldnt be there, coolant. How many options are there for whats wrong and will it running for that short time make things worse than I am assuming they already are? thanks for any and all help. I have had this truck for not even 48 hours, not a good way to start things off with my powerstroke!!
Sounds like your egr cooler has craped out on ya. The white smoke is a tell tale sign of egr problems. It is still under waranty and the dealer will fix it and your cost will be the $100 deductable plus tax. Sorry you first day went so bad, but Welcome to the Addiction anyway. :thumb:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wasnt sure if it was/is under warranty or not, its an early 04 truck, I believe its service date was 4/21/04. which puts it just past its 5 year, 100k mile warranty. right? I guess this is why I bought the extended warranty.
and thanks for the help.

·
Tennessee Powerstrokes
2,830 Posts
I wasnt sure if it was/is under warranty or not, its an early 04 truck, I believe its service date was 4/21/04. which puts it just past its 5 year, 100k mile warranty. right?
and thanks for the help.
Hummmmmmmmm...... I am not sure, did you buy it from a Ford dealer? I don't know how this will come down. If the dealer won't fix it under waranty I would get a bypass kit and delete the cooler and an up pipe to delete the egr valve. You will need a way to clear the ces if you do though. I would also change the oil ASAP.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Date of warranty starts on the day it was first sold from the dealership, not it's build date. Get it in to your local dealership as quick as you can and find out the warranty start date. If you've got a good dealership they might try and work with you even if it's out by a few weeks or months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well guys, I am off to go see the dealer and find out what I can get done on this thing. Hopefully this will pan out good.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Good luck man:thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Date of warranty starts on the day it was first sold from the dealership, not it's build date. Get it in to your local dealership as quick as you can and find out the warranty start date. If you've got a good dealership they might try and work with you even if it's out by a few weeks or months.
Good luck with that. I been a loyal Ford owner since I started driving bought 12 new Fords. My 04 was 58 days past warranty when it blew the oil cooler, egr cooler,and a head gasket and Ford would not cover any cost for the repair. Called Ford Motor Help Line and was told "Ford has done everything that they are legally obligated to". I later learned that each Ford dealer gets a certian amount of money every 3 mo. for non covered repairs that amount depends on the new car/truck sales my dealer gets $5000 every 3 mo. and the owners dont like to share.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wont know anything till monday. I would like to take it to a diesel performance place, do an egr delete, cooler delete, head studs, good gaskets, whatever else is a good Idea, buy an sct x3 and roll some coal. but we will see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Good luck with that. I been a loyal Ford owner since I started driving bought 12 new Fords. My 04 was 58 days past warranty when it blew the oil cooler, egr cooler,and a head gasket and Ford would not cover any cost for the repair. Called Ford Motor Help Line and was told "Ford has done everything that they are legally obligated to". I later learned that each Ford dealer gets a certian amount of money every 3 mo. for non covered repairs that amount depends on the new car/truck sales my dealer gets $5000 every 3 mo. and the owners dont like to share.
You are correct in this, but there are still dealerships that would rather bank warranty money from Ford and keep customers coming in and going away happy. $5k every 3 months isn't much compared to 15-20 hours billed for every truck like this that comes in the door. The trick is to find one of these dealerships. It's not like they advertise it.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Little spin on this....
I bought my 97 used. I had all the paperwork and service records from the original owner. I was having problems with the truck(can't even remember what it was now). It was like 3 months before the warranty ran out on the truck. I'm thinking I'm good, right? I knew about when the warranty started, so I brought the paperwork in to prove the orig purchase date when they told me over the phone that they warranty had expired. They then whipped out the paperwork to show the real orig purchase date. My truck had DRL's, so I knew it was a Canadian truck. What I didn't know was that Madden Ford had bought the truck from a Canadian dealership and the day it came across the border is the day that the warranty started ticking. The truck must have sat on the lot at Madden for like 6 months, cause the warranty had been expired for like 3 months :shrug: Live and learn....
Technically, the orig. owner bought a "new" truck, but it should have been classified as used. :twocents:

I know this probably doesn't apply to your situation, but just wanted to share. I hope all goes well with the dealership. Even if the factory warranty had expired, most places at least give you a 1000 mile/1 month warranty on used vehicles. They should honor this repair I would think. Sounds like something fishy going on here to me. I mean a blown HG after 140 miles?!? Somebody knew something.....

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Sounds like something fishy going on here to me. I mean a blown HG after 140 miles?!? Somebody knew something.....
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like somebody sold or traded off a truck rather than pay to fix it. Happens all the time with trade ins, but not so much with private sales. Most people don't mind sticking it to a dealership but won't do it straight to the face of another person. Most dealerships don't really check out their used vehicles before detailing them and putting them on the lot for sale. Their "99 point" inspection or whatever on used vehicles is pretty much B.S...

·
Tennessee Powerstrokes
2,830 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like somebody sold or traded off a truck rather than pay to fix it. Happens all the time with trade ins, but not so much with private sales. Most people don't mind sticking it to a dealership but won't do it straight to the face of another person. Most dealerships don't really check out their used vehicles before detailing them and putting them on the lot for sale. Their "99 point" inspection or whatever on used vehicles is pretty much B.S...

A vast ammount of the trucks on used car lots come from auctions and it is a crap shoot sometimes. I agree that the dealership should fix the truck if for no other reason than the best form of advertising, which is also the worst. Word of mouth.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
A vast ammount of the trucks on used car lots come from auctions and it is a crap shoot sometimes. I agree that the dealership should fix the truck if for no other reason than the best form of advertising, which is also the worst. Word of mouth.
Just like I told the guy at the dealership when I bought my current truck that immediately developed an oil leak.....

"If you take care of this and treat me right, I'm going to tell somebody :nod: . If you don't, I'm going to tell 10 people. :D ."

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealership definitely doesnt want to ruin its name, and I have talked to the gentleman that owned the truck before me. He lives in the same area as I do, I am going to take him on his word that they traded it in on a VW diesel for his wife, as he already has another f-350 also, this one wasnt paid for so its the one that they got rid of. trade a payment for a payment. nice guy, gave me the run down on the truck, or at least his version. maybe it was just my bad luck, i mean its only got 70k and he said it had never been in for any recalls or service, other than a flash for emissions. The truck ran just fine, with no hint of white smoke at any time up until the point that it happened, I didnt really think that this was something that you could see coming, I mean how would a dealer know that if it showed no signs of taking place? sorry for the ramblings guys, just a frustrated owner of a brokedown NEW truck. I have owned it since thursday and its already spent more time at the dealer than at my house.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
sorry to hear ....hope the dealer gets it fixed for you and you can bring it home for good

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
What kind of dealer did you buy it from? Was it a Ford lot or a private one? Most used cars lots sell with at least a 30 day warranty, at least around here they do. Good luck to ya bud, either way once it gets fixed and you delete all the egr crap, it'll be a much stronger truck.
Dave

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought it from a Big Toyota dealership, They have been around for as long as I can remember. Either way, it will not happen again. They are sending it to a ford dealer down the road to do all of the assesment's, I have already spoke with the ford dealer and they have done the egr delete stuff for customers before, so I am going to see what happens, but it will be removed, and I am going to do my best to have head studs put in while they are in there.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
He traded a P/S in on a VW at a Toyota dealerdhip? :crazy:

Good luck with it all bud :thumb:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts