Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a steal on BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As, but came across a good deal on a set of new mud terrains. If you have them, how do you like them. I want something better off road, dirt, mud, and snow compared to the stock rugged trails I have now. Thanks for any info!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody have any experience with them in the snow? This is one of my main concerns, and I have never had mud terrains to know anything about them.

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
I had them on a 72' Chevy Blazer in Pennsylvania. They did fine in the snow, wore well, a little loud on the highway, and obviously great off road. After having them, they are my favorite tire. For me they were that good.
Craig

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumb:Thanks for the replies, I am hoping to get as much info as I can today so I can make my descision this afternoon. Its a deal I cant really pass up, but I was set on all terrains. I have a 2wd, and need the best I can get to try to hang with the 4x4s hunting etc. These rugged trails with 55K on them will certainly not do it anymore!

·
Registered
659 Posts
mud terrain tires are all horrible in the snow i had a set on my truck and i have to drive over a mountain pass here in colorado every day and had to take them back off for winter.they just dont grip like a bf all terrain.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mud terrain tires are all horrible in the snow i had a set on my truck and i have to drive over a mountain pass here in colorado every day and had to take them back off for winter.they just dont grip like a bf all terrain.
Bummer, thats one of the most important times Ill need traction... Maybe Ill keep looking for a deal on A/Ts:doh: I was hoping to get off cheap. $425 bucks for 5 new tires.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have never driven in snow since I live in Texas but I have had mud terrains and all terrains on all of my vehicles, I know on my Toyota the A/T's honestly didn't ride as smooth at my MT's but they rode great on my Powerstroke in a 35" size, my new KM2's on my F250 hook up 1000x better on than the A/T's could ever imagine, on pavement, grass, and mud...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Alternate to BFG

I know BFG is an awesome tire - I - in my youth raced class 7s - 2wd stock pickups - I ran with BFG AT's - rarely let me down.

Now with my 2003 6.0 4wd - I upgraded from Bridgestone Riva AT's (which were awesome too - just not highenough load capacity) to Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Do a search on the web - they dont appear as agressive as the BFG AT's, but I have since put on my 2nd set of them - LT305/70R16E and I must say - snow traction is bar none, mud is better then you would expect looking at them, highway noise is minimal, towing is excellent, rain traction is excellent. I get onto jobsites in deep sticky mud - granted their not Swampers - but they hold their own.

There is an article on the web about them that a magazine did stating that particularly in snow they performed far greater then expected.

Plus - the Nitto's are a good $40/ tire less cost then the BFG AT same size. I get the Nitto's for $159 at a local dealer to me. The BFG's same size, AT are nearly $200.

I'm on my second set - love them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know BFG is an awesome tire - I - in my youth raced class 7s - 2wd stock pickups - I ran with BFG AT's - rarely let me down.

Now with my 2003 6.0 4wd - I upgraded from Bridgestone Riva AT's (which were awesome too - just not highenough load capacity) to Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Do a search on the web - they dont appear as agressive as the BFG AT's, but I have since put on my 2nd set of them - LT305/70R16E and I must say - snow traction is bar none, mud is better then you would expect looking at them, highway noise is minimal, towing is excellent, rain traction is excellent. I get onto jobsites in deep sticky mud - granted their not Swampers - but they hold their own.

There is an article on the web about them that a magazine did stating that particularly in snow they performed far greater then expected.

Plus - the Nitto's are a good $40/ tire less cost then the BFG AT same size. I get the Nitto's for $159 at a local dealer to me. The BFG's same size, AT are nearly $200.

I'm on my second set - love them.

That was my other option against the BFG A/T, I heard that their tread life is lower though. How long did your last set of Terras last?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I dont do the proper maintenance on my tires - pretty much - once their on that is where they stay. I must say I did rotate this 2nd set after a good 20,000 miles! Hey - its a start!

To answer your question - the first set lasted about 35,000 miles. I now have 35,000 on the 2nd set and still going - probably 40 - 50% tread left. Nitto rates them as a 40 or 50,000 mile tire. I dont remember which. Maybe the rotation thing does help? hmmm.

Seriously - first set - ran hard, smoked them frequently, pulled hard, ran hard, off roaded frequently - deep mud, rocks, ruts, anything I could find - sand (8000 pound trucks dont like sand - least mine didnt),

But now that I am tamer - I did go for my 2nd set and I do like them. By appearance I wish they had wider voids between lugs and a cooler side wall design, and white letter or outline white letter (a look I like) - but when its putting the rubber to the road - whatever the road surface is - the Nitto's have always pulled me through, up, over, and around. Their great tires. For the cost range - its hard to beat them. I'm sure someone could find a tire that exceeds them - as all these comments are my person opinion - and as with a**s and elbows - everyone has them - I like the Nitto's.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sean, have you considered the Pro Comp Xtreme all terrains?

I bought a set last year (October maybe) and they've done me well. Look good and perform good...can't beat that.

I've got some pics of mine somewhere around here. You could probably find them with a quick search under my screen name.

Also, typically Pro-Comp has a buy 3, get 1 free sale once a year. Might look into that as well.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts