Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which '99-'03 is the better 7.3 and why?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, lets see what is the best year of the 7.3 (99-03). This includes differences ranging from opinions/facts regarding stock modifications made by :ford: throughout the years such as exterior/interior, turbo, rods, etc. Vote and back it up with a reason why.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I would say 2003

·
Registered
79 Posts
I say 2001 but I'm probably a little biased.

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
I think like anything else, it evolved. And the newer the better as issues were worked-out. I guess, if you planned on dumping like 5K into engine performance (if that's what you thought these trucks were about ;) ) there would be an advantage to the earlier forged connecting rods. But, for the Vast majority of us, the whole "PMR" thing has proven to be a non-issue...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I said 2000 because of Forged rods.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would say 99' because that's what I have:) Even though my truck is mostly stock except for just an intake and exhaust, I tow a bit, and I like the idea of having the forged rods. Though it's not common, I have heard of unmodified PMR engines throwing rods through the block. I'm sure unmodified forged engines have thrown rods too but I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
What can I say, I own a 00'.

Early has forged rods, late has clear headlights and a better gauge config.

Is there really any other differences?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The only major differences are between E99s and late ones. After that it's just a little bit.
That's a very objective question also - Best? Best for: towing, modding, racing, pulling, DDing, nicest? The list goes on. As long as it's a late model 7.3, i'd say it ends there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i voted 2000 partially because i own one:p and partially because the early 99's can be more expensive to mod i have herd. and partially because they dont have the PMR's like the later ones.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only major differences are between E99s and late ones. After that it's just a little bit.
That's a very objective question also - Best? Best for: towing, modding, racing, pulling, DDing, nicest? The list goes on. As long as it's a late model 7.3, i'd say it ends there.
"Best" as in what you think is best and why :thumb: I know it's a pretty generic question and folks are going to be biased, but that's cool too.

It's all about what anybody wants. I'm just trying to see who has what opinions and bringing it out in a poll. :popcorn:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haven't been a diesel owner long enough to base my opinion on experiance. I have been a tried and true Ford trucks owner all my life, including 7 yrs working at a Ford dealership. I would have to say most any year 7.3 powerstroke from '99 to '03 is a great choice (IMO)! I researched trucks, motors and year models for months when looking for my first deisel truck. So when I found my '00 crewcab F-350 this past April with only 180k on the odometer, I knew that was the truck for me. As for rods I'm unsure as of yet if they are PMR or forged. I still need to visually check as my build date of 5/00 is useless in this matter. So I'm gona have to vote strictly on opinion!

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't been a diesel owner long enough to base my opinion on experiance. I have been a tried and true Ford trucks owner all my life, including 7 yrs working at a Ford dealership. I would have to say most any year 7.3 powerstroke from '99 to '03 is a great choice (IMO)! I researched trucks, motors and year models for months when looking for my first deisel truck. So when I found my '00 crewcab F-350 this past April with only 180k on the odometer, I knew that was the truck for me. As for rods I'm unsure as of yet if they are PMR or forged. I still need to visually check as my build date of 5/00 is useless in this matter. So I'm gona have to vote strictly on opinion!
Great post, sir :drinking3: Maybe if you throw your VIN on here, somebody can tell us if you have forged or PMR. If not, maybe compare your VIN to the range on a Google search of what the cut-off was.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
It's not by vin, but by engine serial number. So far, the number provided for that have been accurate as to PMR v. forged

·
Registered
477 Posts
2000 for sure..435,000 + miles and mine is not an isolated case, the abundance of 2000's with high mileage still going strong says allot!!...not to mention for the most part I can maintainence and fix my own truck. I would think the later the model the less you are able to do unless your an equipped diesel mechanic.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I vote 01, especially if you can find an early one that has forged rods (if you're going to really be cranking it up).

Personally, I like my 01, and it's the last year you could get one without the useless factory trans temp gauge...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts