Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around the OBS forum looking for a 7.3L powerstroke. My budget was forcing me to look at the OBS.

I might be able to do something different and look at getting something around $15K or so. I'm not quite sure what I can afford, but I have been looking. I've got a couple of questions:

1) What is the best year for the powerstroke in terms of reliablity? The 7.3L engine seems to be the most reliable.

2) How reliable are the 6.0L and 6.4L Powerstroke engines? I see things about the EGR valve, etc., they seem to be more problematic.

3) Is there a different in build quality between the Lariat and King Ranch editions in the newer Powerstrokes?

4) I wouldn't need 4WD, so what's the best I should be able to get for $15,000 in terms of year/mileage?

I look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking truck, but I need a SuperCrew...

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
you should be able to get a nice truck for 15k. I wouldnt be afraid of a 6.0 just get an oasis before you buy, make sure it didnt have alot of problems

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
also I think the best year for the 7.3 is 2000, intercooled, no cat, and forged rods.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
I've been lurking around the OBS forum looking for a 7.3L powerstroke. My budget was forcing me to look at the OBS.

I might be able to do something different and look at getting something around $15K or so. I'm not quite sure what I can afford, but I have been looking. I've got a couple of questions:

1) What is the best year for the powerstroke in terms of reliablity? The 7.3L engine seems to be the most reliable.

generally the last. so for obs, 96-97. sd 99-03. the 2001 i think...and up has the pmr rods which are not as strong.

2) How reliable are the 6.0L and 6.4L Powerstroke engines? I see things about the EGR valve, etc., they seem to be more problematic.

uh still can go out. its just a matter of time.

3) Is there a different in build quality between the Lariat and King Ranch editions in the newer Powerstrokes?

not really. its just interior that different

4) I wouldn't need 4WD, so what's the best I should be able to get for $15,000 in terms of year/mileage?

I look forward to your comments.

lower the miles the better. look at every square inch of the truck when looking at it. look at the fluids, smell em, stuff like that
comments in red

·
Registered
714 Posts
It all boils down to this. WHat is your plans for the truck? Are you good at wrenchin? Thr 6.0 are good motors once you fix a FEW things and that cost $. The 7.3's are bulletproof with mild mods but not as fast.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not looking for speed. It will mainly be used as a highway cruiser and a little bit of off-road for some ranch work.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My .02

I agree with the above posts, a lot of it depends on what you are looking for.

For 15k, you could get a 6.0 or a 7.3.

7.3 is SOLID. We have 2 in the family, mine has 80k, never had a lick of trouble. And my mother's excursion has like 120 or 130k, no major issues. Both are 2002 models. Great motors, but like posted above, not a lot of pep. Just strong and reliable.

6.0 on the other hand, make good power, but aren't as reliable. Not saying they are junk(bc we wouldn't have 3 of them if they were), they just aren't as reliable as the 7.3 when compared.

Good Luck with your purchase. :thumb:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Get a 99.5-03 7.3 and just do the Big 3 with a custom tunes chip and youll be very happy. Should be able to find a really nice one for 15k.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll see what I can find. How many miles would I expect on an 00-03 7.3 for $15K? I'm thinking 120K or so is just broken in...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'll see what I can find. How many miles would I expect on an 00-03 7.3 for $15K? I'm thinking 120K or so is just broken in...
I just picked up F250 Lariat, year 2000, with 120K miles and in tip top condition for 12K. This is in Houston.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a F350 crew cab,Larait 4x4
w/ 160k miles in good cond. for $11,000 in Az. There were several trucks I was looking at for under $15,000. I don't think you'll have a problem finding a truck. Good luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
15K is a good chunck for one of these trucks. I picked up my 2000 F250 4X4 XLT with 131K for 11K in Minnesota, and believe it or not there was and still is no rust. You'll get a real nice ride for 15K.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After deciding against the 2001 because it was out of my price range, I ended up getting a 1997 2WD Crewcab 7.3L Powerstroke. It's got 230,000 miles, extremely clean both inside and out. I got it for $6,300+TTL, it's a 3 owner Texas truck. I drove the truck back from Houston, 352 miles and it drove smooth, solid, and enjoyed the sound of that diesel engine.

I posted in the OBS forum a little more about my experience and the two issues I noticed, cruise doesn't work and cabin lights don't light up.

I decided the 7.3 was the best powerstroke after reading and researching on this forum. I think I got a pretty good deal considering the overall condition of the truck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
7.3 is great for reliability. My DD has 371k, banks powerpack, baby swamp injectors. runs strong and gets 18-23 mpg, its a 5sp, ofe southbend. havent touched fuel system or oil pump. body and frame are solid as well. i tow and haul daily and love the truck. would be nice to have bells and whistles but dont, ac blows cold, radio works fine and the wipers keep the rain off the glass. she's a true truck with some getty up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
LOL...this guy :hehe: I'm sort of on the the hunt for a 7.3 powerstroke. Found a 03 sonic blue 7.3 4x4 that sold...:doh: So I'm thinking a 7.3 Xcursion 4x4, 01 Platinum Edition 4x4, or a 99-03 7.3 4x4 CC in black or blue. MMM....so many options.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
2010... hands down.

·
Registered
935 Posts
New trucks with dpf=junk imo. If you can get away with the delete then thats a different story. Newer trucks are nice but not everyone can or wants to spend that kind of money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts