Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to reduce EGT's besides a good exhaust, CAI, etc? I've been thinking of trying out a water injection kit but wanted to know if it would be convenient or more upkeep than it's worth in terms of keeping the reservoir full of water, etc.

Do the water injection kits use a lot of water i.e., how long would it take to go through 3 quarts in a 3 quart reservoir if you are hauling consistently???

Any other ideas for reducing EGT's? Is there a certain CAI that is the best for the lowest EGT's???

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the best way to reduce EGT's besides a good exhaust, CAI, etc? I've been thinking of trying out a water injection kit but wanted to know if it would be convenient or more upkeep than it's worth in terms of keeping the reservoir full of water, etc.

Do the water injection kits use a lot of water i.e., how long would it take to go through 3 quarts in a 3 quart reservoir if you are hauling consistently???

Any other ideas for reducing EGT's? Is there a certain CAI that is the best for the lowest EGT's???

Thanks
I'm old and retired. When I see the EGT's rise to a critical point, I simply back off the throttle. Works everytime.:) By the very questions that you are asking, your truck seems to be stock. A good intake and Exhaust will both serve to reduce EGT. I pull a 12000 lb trailer all over the country and I normally keep my speeds to 65 mph or under. (just over 2000 rpm). It takes a good sized grade to get it over 1200 degrees F.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truck is mostly stock. I already have an intake and exhaust. So, can you give a recommendation on what a "good" intake would be???

Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Good tunes. Give tony or Matt a shout.

I just installed a 6.0 IC and that did not do much. Water will bring them down also.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Water injection is your best bet.. really jsut keep your foot outta it..your safe at 1200 all day long

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

Thanks
Easiest way... Down shift...

I go thru 8 gallons of water in a 450-500 mile trip if I just leave it on auto...

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Proper airflow and better tuning and you should never have a problem. I have never had to back out of the skinny pedal due to high EGT's. The larger IC isn't worth the cost for a min drop in EGT's. Water/Meth will help but better tuning will be the biggest help to you.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Are you having egt problems?? You can run all day at 1250*
Tymar intake..best option for filter kit..PM me for a price.
6.0IC seems to drop temps 100-150*

TW tunes..what I use and sell.

Cary

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Are you having egt problems?? You can run all day at 1250*
Tymar intake..best option for filter kit..PM me for a price.
6.0IC seems to drop temps 100-150*
TW tunes..what I use and sell.

Cary

I'm sorry but that just is not happening... maybe if you went from no IC to a 6.0... but not from a 7.3 to 6.0 IC...

I saw less then a 50* drop when pulling. Waste of time and money IMHO...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I saw less then a 50* drop when pulling. Waste of time and money IMHO...
Pretty close to the same results here for me also. pulling a 12k ish 5th wheel.

I was going to raplace the boots anyway so no waste there. I got my IC for $50 so no real big wast of money. Now a new IC for $500+ NO WAY!!!

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Just restating what has been posted many times by others..I have a Hypermax Tapercore:wink[3]:..so 0 experence with a 7.3 or a 6.0 IC. Except on my 6.0

So I'll remember your measurements for future reference..

FYI The 6.0 cooler is aprox 24 sq inches larger face area and 12.5% deaper ..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Guess that falls into the your results may vary :)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Just restating what has been posted many times by others..I have a Hypermax Tapercore:wink[3]:..so 0 experence with a 7.3 or a 6.0 IC. Except on my 6.0

So I'll remember your measurements for future reference..

FYI The 6.0 cooler is aprox 24 sq inches larger face area and 12.5% deaper ..
Guess that falls into the your results may vary :)
Results have to be based on experance...

But the hypermax is by far the best damn IC you can get... wish I had one! LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nothing cools your intake air/ egt down better than water injection. You just need a min of 6 gallon tank so you can go from tank of fuel to tank of fuel without having to fill it up in between.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts