Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to go the next step on my truck to help cool off my EGT's while I'm towing. I'm currently running Innovatives Tow/Aggressive file while towing my Toy Hauler(approximately 21K pounds truck and trailer) and most of the time it'll hit a high of around 1250. But sometimes if its warm outside and I hit a good grade, I'll see 1300-1350. What's the best way to cool these temps down a little. I'm thinking intercooler, but which one? Any better ideas?

Current mods on the truck are:

MBRP 3.5 to 4" turbo back exhaust with cat delete
EGR "Sneaky" delete pipe
ZooDad mod
2 1/2" front leveling kit
35" rubber on 20" wheels

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snow performance stage 3 water/meth kit.

Sounds like way more of a PIA than adding an intercooler. I'm not even sure where to get methanol around here.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would run a Spearco IC and do the "Power Elbow" at the same time. This will completely drop any high egts you have while towing. At most you will hit 1200 and level off, then start to back down after ten seconds at 1200.

·
Registered
813 Posts
you might try a milder tune

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you might try a milder tune
The Tow/Aggressive tune is pretty mellow. Unloaded the truck doesn't feel that much faster than it does with the stock tune. It just has better transmission tuning. And the Tow/Aggressive tune only adds about 100 degrees of heat versus the stock tune. I've towed both ways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with PainTrain, a Banks or Spearco IC, air intake, and a CFM+ intake elbow. Some will say that a aftermarket air intake is a waste of money but this combination has performed well on my truck. EGT's have never been a problem and I pulled some pretty steep grades (10,000 or less) with ID's street agressive tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts