Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking into upgrades on my '02 PSD.
Right now I have a S&D intake and straight piped exhaust. I will eventually be getting some Stage 1 injectors from Beans, modified IDM, and a DP tuner to go with it.
What turbo upgrades are best for me?

My truck is my daily driver (about 75 - 100 miles a day), I tow fairly often (8-10k) and I use my truck a lot for work around the house.

Thanks.

Edit: I do most of my parts buying from either Beans or DieselSite, for no other reason than that's where I got all the performance parts for my '97 from.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am with CT, he sold me my 38r and stage one injectors. I love my combo whether it is for towing or all around daily driving. You will get awesome egt's from that 38r.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the best match for me?

What about all those upgrades they sell for the stock turbo?

I don't know much about them, so I'm just curious.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Ported housing or wicked wheel don't do anything for performance compared to a 38r. if you are upgrading injectors i would definitely go with the 38r.

·
Registered
692 Posts
or a beans SD 66 is about the same i think, just not a ball bearing. which makes it a little quieter and easier to rebuild. Just another option. i dont think you can go wrong with a 38r either.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
daily driving and 8-10k towing.. you can do a LOT with the stock turbo if thats all you need (unless you have a set hp/tq in mind).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No set hp/tq numbers; I just want to do the few upgrades I listed to better the truck:
5" exhaust, cold air intake, stage ones, modified IDM, DP tuner, valve body, 6.0 tranny cooler, if for whatever reason my hpop goes bad I'll upgrade to a modded one.

I want a turbo that will match my setup & driving style the best.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
If you do an idm make sure its the swamps unit. the stock turbo will be just fine with that setup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I stick with the stock turbo; of all the upgrades I've seen on vendors websites, which ones should I be concentrating on?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
the list you posted looks perfect for towing/daily driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts