Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys its me again, got a question about aftermarket turbos, whats the best one for the 6.4 , let me know i really dont know much about this subject just trying to gather some opinions up!!!! help:icon_ford:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I guess that all depends of how much HP you want and how deep your pockets are...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well....

im looking to push over 500 hp what would slap in it?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
the stock turbos will make over 500 hp. I was also looking at turbos and i like the tow power turbos from elite.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
600 HP is achievable with the stock turbos and a few bolt on parts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
600 HP is achievable with the stock turbos and a few bolt on parts.
if you dont mind could you give me a list of parts? as of right now i have a full 4 inch exhaust(dpf delete), intake and the h&s mini maxx.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shouldn't you be over 500hp with that set up?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
if you dont mind could you give me a list of parts? as of right now i have a full 4 inch exhaust(dpf delete), intake and the h&s mini maxx.
Your pretty much there with that setup. Add a few air flow mods like a CAC pipe, intake elbow, and bigger downpipe. You will need to delete the EGR to run the intake elbow, but it's worth it. :thumb:

My guess is that you would dyno in the 560-590 range, depending on the dyno, with your current setup. That is assuming you dyno the H&S 300 tune.

·
Registered
585 Posts
What kind of fueling mods are needed with bigger turbo setups that push 650+hp. River city and elite both call for injector tips and probably an air dog.......but what about on the motor. High pressure fuel pump? Fuel rails?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
With Elite Tow Power X's or High Powers, 650 can be achieved on stock fuel. All you need is a fuel bowl delete for the turbos to fit, which would require at least an Air Dog with Elite's fuel bowl delete. The truck Rudy just built did 680 with Tow Power X's on stock fuel on Rudy's in-house dyno.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Does anybody know what kind a fuel mods a nice single turbo set up would require? And does anybody see a drop in reliablity on these set ups? I travel 10 hr trips several times a year and dont want to break down in OK or TX.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
The fuel bowl doesn't have to be deleted to run the tow power x's.
I was under the impression that setup did since the atmospheric charger is the 76mm used in High Power's....which requires the fuel bowl delete. Only difference in the 2 setups that I know of is the inducer on the VGT.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So whats the best single turbo and fuel mods set up to get 600-650 hp reliably. Id do headstuds and an airdog system and run my HD300 tune. Gotta factor in a new trans too.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
So whats the best single turbo and fuel mods set up to get 600-650 hp reliably. Id do headstuds and an airdog system and run my HD300 tune. Gotta factor in a new trans too.
The single kit that Wide Open Performance is coming out with or the single kit that Maryland Performance Diesel has. *** uses a custom built turbo by Bell Turbo and MPD uses Bullseye turbo's with Bullseye's "batmowheel" compressor wheel. I know Craig and Mike of MPD have singles on both of their CC/SB 6.4's. Craig's is a stainless S366 with the batmowheel. Mike's is a cast S372 I think.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was under the impression that setup did since the atmospheric charger is the 76mm used in High Power's....which requires the fuel bowl delete. Only difference in the 2 setups that I know of is the inducer on the VGT.
Yes both the atmospheric chargers are the same, but the difference between the two is the size of the piping that runs from the discharge of the atmospheric to the high pressure turbo. Go back and take a look at the tow power x build pics and then take a look at Shone's clean up thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes both the atmospheric chargers are the same, but the difference between the two is the size of the piping that runs from the discharge of the atmospheric to the high pressure turbo. Go back and take a look at the tow power x build pics and then take a look at Shone's clean up thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Can you elaborate

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Shone's truck has Max Powers. I would assume that the piping for the Max Powers is larger than the piping needed for 76mm that is in the High Powers and Tow Power X's.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Shone's truck has Max Powers. I would assume that the piping for the Max Powers is larger than the piping needed for 76mm that is in the High Powers and Tow Power X's.
The piping for the max powers and high powers are the same size. Go back and look at mikes thread the motor on page 43 and you will see what I'm talking about. The piping on the tow power x's is totally different which doesn't require the fuel bowl to be deleted.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts