Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2000 F250 PSD that just hit 90,000. Its got a 5in exhaust and a k&n. Bone stock besides that. Im getting like 14 MPG right now, and I drive it a lot. Just curious on what chip/programmer will give me the best MPG gain. Not looking for any power increase really, dont wanna toast the trans or hurt anything. This is my daily driver, so it dosent need to be fast. I have my car for that. So any reccomendations? and whats the "real world" #'s......not the advertised ones? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I would also really really like to know.

I keep seeing in the ads up top "SCT - More Power, Less Fuel" what's that about...? I don't want to lose any power, I wouldn't mind quicker or whatever but also want my trans to live. But I could DEFINATELY use better mileage.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I would get a TW or DP custom tuned chip with an econo seting on it, maybe a few others if ya want. Possibly get your pcm flashed if you dont want to ever change tunes. They both are the best tuners for the 7.3. I run DP and it is awesome, the 80 econo has great power as well. I checked my mileage in the past couple weeks and was getting 16.7 for alll around/mostly city driving and not taking it easy by any means, at least on 3 tanks of gas I averaged that. Dont forget guages, get them if you run anything!! Also ditch that k&N and get a different filter, they are known to dust engines.:thumb:
dp-tuner.com
totaldieselperformance.com

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I would get a TW or DP custom tuned chip with an econo seting on it, maybe a few others if ya want. Possibly get your pcm flashed if you dont want to ever change tunes. They both are the best tuners for the 7.3. I run DP and it is awesome, the 80 econo has great power as well. I checked my mileage in the past couple weeks and was getting 16.7 for alll around/mostly city driving and not taking it easy by any means, at least on 3 tanks of gas I averaged that. Dont forget guages, get them if you run anything!! Also ditch that k&N and get a different filter, they are known to dust engines.:thumb:
dp-tuner.com
will it just set a mileage goal or actually kick it up from where it's at currently

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
jeez i bet i could get 4mpg's better for less than $250... i hope, that kinda sucks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
dp-tuner.com
you run yours on gas?:hehe:
maybe thats the trick to getting good milage:thumb:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ooooh snap. as long as its 91 octane it runs great in mine, anybody else out there havin good luck with this one??:hehe:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you say the DP is the best? How about that painless wiring one? Anyone try that yet?

·
Registered
601 Posts
painless wiring makes a chip????:confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Super60, I had a GLH back in 89-90. :thumb: It is one of my favorite vehicles I have owned. It was great dusting 5.0 stangs. They didn't know what to think... :hehe:

·
Registered
19 Posts
anyone look into Edge Juice w/ Attitude? I have had some really good response from that setup on power and economy!

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I vote DP. I had/have an edge evolution that I don't even use anymore and I currently run the DP Tuner chip. With the truck in my signature with it set on the "80hp econo" tune I get 16-17mpg mixed driving. I just recently have taken a trip up north and have been doing almost nothing but city driving and I am not sure if they still have some #1 in the tanks or my right foot combined with city driving is doing it, but my mpg has dropped to about 13, but that is only while I am up north. You will notice quite a big difference in power with the 80hp tune also...Totally different truck. I know they can add trans pressure to the tune if you need/want it. They called and asked for my truck. Good luck.
-Aaron

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would get a dp tuner chip... Its a waste of money to spend it on something that is only for econo... It would be boring also.. The reason I mention dp (also tw has the same feature) is cause u can get the econo setting plus many others so when u are bored of economy u can go to the drag strip for example or race a civic beside u at a stop light.

·
Registered
514 Posts
the only edge product i would use is the evo... the juice is not a very good product... it has no trans tuning and will make the truck shift like crap... your best choice is a custom tuned chip...
I have a juice w/attitude. i cant tell the difference in shifting unless im really on it. and all the "no tranny" tuning means is that the chip is NOT increasing trans fluid pressure. so your tw or dp WILL shift more firm/hard which is good if your puttin down alot of power. if your not gonna hot rod it the juice with no tranny programming is not a big a deal as people on here make it out to be.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
I have a juice w/attitude. i cant tell the difference in shifting unless im really on it. and all the "no tranny" tuning means is that the chip is NOT increasing trans fluid pressure. so your tw or dp WILL shift more firm/hard which is good if your puttin down alot of power. if your not gonna hot rod it the juice with no tranny programming is not a big a deal as people on here make it out to be.
any power increase needs to be adjusted by raising pressure for your trans... if not your asking for trouble.... im just talking from my experience with the juice and i hated it... maybe its because i know better now than i did when i was only running the juice but even then it was bad... i didn't go more than 2 weeks before i took it off and put the evo on instead....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
19 Posts
best chip

i run 2 edge products stacked, Edge evolution set to race and the edge juice with attitude set to 3 and im getting over 17 miles to the gallon. I think if u stick the bigger names in the business you should get similar results

1 - 20 of 32 Posts