Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any better suspension option than the carli pin top???

· Registered
3,756 Posts
I am a One Up Offroad fan. He has built suspension systems for drag trucks all the way up to monster size trucks!

· Registered
371 Posts
If you have any questions on any of our Pure Performance products, give us or one of our dealers a shout. We will be more than happy to help you out. We have new direct fit 2 5/8 RR and 2 5/8 IFP shock packages available to compliment the rest of our line really soon.

Good luck with your build.

JP

· Premium Member
2,357 Posts
is there any better suspension option than the carli pin top???
Short of doing the Carli King coilover kit with front and rear bypasses your best riding setup with be the Pintop with full leafs.

Another great setup is the Pure 4.5 Chase series with their 2 5/8" shocks. I run a hybrid setup of Pure and Carli components right now with the Pure 2.0 resi shocks and it rides a ton better than stock and does great off road.:woot:

· Registered
371 Posts
At the 4 to 4.5" lift height you will actually get better travel and better performance out of a coil spring and shock combo. Removing the OEM spring/shock mount from the frame and going up under the hood with a hoop to mount a set of coil overs would be the only way to get more travel. Unfortunely coil overs are limited in packaging by their construction. It sucks because we make coil overs too. Very disappointing.

JP

· Premium Member
2,938 Posts
At the 4 to 4.5" lift height you will actually get better travel and better performance out of a coil spring and shock combo. Removing the OEM spring/shock mount from the frame and going up under the hood with a hoop to mount a set of coil overs would be the only way to get more travel. Unfortunely coil overs are limited in packaging by their construction. It sucks because we make coil overs too. Very disappointing.

JP
True the travel is decreased but that's a deceiving answer to someone who doesn't understand suspension. No one is getting 15" of travel out of these trucks, a .5-1" is negligable and, when properly tuned, nearly un-noticable... If what george is suggesting is a coilover/bypass setup, you're correct in that the travel will be shorter than an independant coil/shock setup but the way the travel is handled with tunable zones via the bypass tubes, the coilover/bypass will outperform nearly any other setup.

If just looking at the coilover (no front bypass), I would recommend the pintop based on the additional travel allowed by the independant setup. In most cases, the binding of the stock arm will not happen when running a stock sway bar given the lack of articulation allowed by one side at a time. Sage tested the 4-link and the radius arms; although the 4-Link (when properly setup) is a great setup, the stock radius arm is also awesome when dropped and supports just as much travel.

· Registered
371 Posts
You are correct, the radius arms in full axle movement conditions use up all the travel nicely, but when it comes to articulation and fast whoops that are uneven, you will notice alot less jounce in the vehicle with a good 4 link versus the radius arm setup. Just food for thought.

JP

· Premium Member
2,938 Posts
You are correct, the radius arms in full axle movement conditions use up all the travel nicely, but when it comes to articulation and fast whoops that are uneven, you will notice alot less jounce in the vehicle with a good 4 link versus the radius arm setup. Just food for thought.

JP
Agreed.

Stock arms..can have Travel yes...ride better no not even close to 4 link arms..the stock arms bind. Ride quality is much more important than total travel that for the street will never be used.
Way too broad a statement. Most would not be able to tell "seat of the pants feel" if they were in a 4-link vs. radius arm. Guys like us, most likely would given all other variables the same. To say the travel will never be used on the street is also incorrect. Further, to say the ride is not even close is a false statement. The ride is better with a 4-link but only under extreme conditions, as mentioned by Pure above, is it more than negligable.

· Registered
8,713 Posts
Not in the least..you would need to be dead not to notice the difference unless you were driving on perfectly smooth roads..try driving on the lousy Hyways we have out west.

So just how are you using more than stock travel on the street...I've never bottomed or toped out any truck except a stock Excursion and a OBS TTB on the street in 500k miles of driving.

· Premium Member
2,938 Posts
Not in the least..you would need to be dead not to notice the difference unless you were driving on perfectly smooth roads..try driving on the lousy Hyways we have out west.

So just how are you using more than stock travel on the street...I've never bottomed or toped out any truck except a stock Excursion and a OBS TTB on the street in 500k miles of driving.
I drive those highways every day. I live in southern californina and have some of the worst streets in the US out here. That is a rediculous statement as I have been in a 4-link and radius arm setup and again, the difference is negligable at best all other variables held constant. I have bottomed out, full drooped and fully articulated on the city roads of orange county, not hard to find it if you're looking for it.

· Registered
3,756 Posts
I drive those highways every day. I live in southern californina and have some of the worst streets in the US out here. That is a rediculous statement as I have been in a 4-link and radius arm setup and again, the difference is negligable at best all other variables held constant. I have bottomed out, full drooped and fully articulated on the city roads of orange county, not hard to find it if you're looking for it.
You guys should try this one out!

· Premium Member
2,938 Posts
I guess I'm not looking for it then...

What 4 link kits have you been in..
When you get a decent suspension you start looking for the worst ways to get to work... :)

Owned a 2006 mega cab with a stock setup, Long arm (pure performance), and Radius arm (Carli).

As for Ford, been in a stock truck, Icon 4-Link(4.5" lift), Icon/Donahoe radius Drop (4.5" lift), and Carli Radius Arm Drop. Yest to try Pure's but I'm sure it's on par with the Pure Dodge long arms which were great. I'm not dissing 4-links, merely saying you're overstating the ride differance.

LMAO! that is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm going to hunt that down!

· Premium Member
2,938 Posts
OCVeloMan

Which Dodge Long Arm, New Style or Old Style?

Our new 4 Link Super Duty Stuff is pretty tight! As is your products.

JP
I rode in your Dodge long arms around a year and a half ago. Not sure if they were new or old but they were awesome units. Only thing i didn't like was the removal of the stock control arm mounts.

OCVeloMan

I think once you ride in a 4 link'd SD you will change your mind...
I have, an icon 4-Link. I haven't ridden in the pure 4-Link yet (for a SD).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.