Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get new shocks before pulling the toyhauler out to Sturgis, what does everybody like?

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
Rancho 9000 Fan here ;-)
the adjustability is noticeable and useful for my application
I do not live in the rust belt so no rust issues and if one fails I get a new one for free from the local shop where I bought them vs online or King/Carli and others that need to be sent back for service and you have no shocks for the duration

Bilsteins are not a Bad shock by any means but I dislike their firm feel and non adjustability on both of the trucks I tried them on

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Fox fan here. I recently installed a full set of the reservoir 2.0’s on my truck. Significantly less wheel hop from the rear end unloaded. Also a dramatic improvement pulling the TH down the road.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Forgot about

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I did too until I started looking at parts for the upgrades. They are great shocks but often overlooked. Maybe due to the price point. Though, they come with reservoir mounting brackets which puts them on par with the Bil's + adding a separate mounting bracket.

Reactions: mbsfield18

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did too until I started looking at parts for the upgrades. They are great shocks but often overlooked. Maybe due to the price point. Though, they come with reservoir mounting brackets which puts them on par with the Bil's + adding a separate mounting bracket.
Yeah, I've been thinking about giving them a try for some time, now. I've got the Bilstein 5125s, but I'd like to get a dual reservoir setup for whatever brand I choose. I have dual shocks, just not the dual reservoir. I think they provide more travel with better comfort, but that's all depending.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Indeed. I can only compare them to my friends truck with new Bilstein's. Even so, it is a CCSB with 35's (mine is a CCLB on 295's) it is not a fair comparison. They are definitely better than stock!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Rancho 9000 Fan here ;-)
the adjustability is noticeable and useful for my application
I do not live in the rust belt so no rust issues and if one fails I get a new one for free from the local shop where I bought them vs online or King/Carli and others that need to be sent back for service and you have no shocks for the duration

Bilsteins are not a Bad shock by any means but I dislike their firm feel and non adjustability on both of the trucks I tried them on
Have Bilsteins on mine and I agree that they're pretty firm, but I figure that's what you get with a 3/4 ton rated shock... I've never tried adjustable shocks, but if they work as advertised, I'll be trying them out next time around.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looking to get new shocks before pulling the toyhauler out to Sturgis, what does everybody like?
Rancho 9000
I pull my fifth wheel camper
No problems
Rancho is the factory shocks on the FX4
package.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I put Four Bilstein 5100s in my truck and noticed no difference from the stock Ranchero shocks that had been in the FX4 truck proBaby since it was made.

I replaced them because I saw leaking oil. Either my truck has as smooth a ride as its going to get, or there’s more going on than just shocks. I think the rides fine; my wife thinks its a little bumpy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put Four Bilstein 5100s in my truck and noticed no difference from the stock Ranchero shocks that had been in the FX4 truck proBaby since it was made.

I replaced them because I saw leaking oil. Either my truck has as smooth a ride as its going to get, or there’s more going on than just shocks. I think the rides fine; my wife thinks its a little bumpy.
Interesting. My wife remarked on how much better the ride was with the Bilsteins. I too replaced the Ranchero's that were undoubtedly OEM on my FX4 with 160K on them and were rusting through. Perception must be a factor? .

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, I ended up getting a set of Bilstein 5100's, ended up putting on brakes and 1 new caliper also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts