Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best programmer

4K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  zrain25 
#1 ·
What is the best programmer on the market for 99 7.3 liter to gain mileage as well as horsepower?

#3 ·
Do NOT get a super chips. They make your truck shift hard as hell. I would go with a 6 position chip with custom tunes. The previous owner installed a superchips on y truck and it suck. If I had the programmer it would be put back on the stock tune.

Sent from a device that's smarter than me

#4 ·
No "programmer" is good. Custom tune, on the other hand, are excellent.

Beans or Tony Wildman is the way to go.

#5 ·
While I agree with the custom tuning advice I disagree on the "NO programmer is good" statement.

SCT makes a great programmer which will give you guages and custom tunes at the same time.

Also I believe that PHP is custom tuning edge tuners as well. Bill writes all the canned ford tunes for edge.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

#6 ·
^And none of which I would want compared to a custom chip.

#8 ·
Custom tunes are custom tunes bro, dosent matter if their on a ts style chip or in a programmer. Plus with a programmer like the edge from Bill or and sct you have the ability to read and clear codes.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

#7 ·
For the 7.3L motor, if you're looking for a preloaded programmer, the SCT SF3 (3015) is the best that I've found and I've worked with them all. It runs around $379.00. Whereas it comes preloaded, it also has space for 3 custom tunes.

#9 ·
Run of the mill SCT tunes aren't custom though.. they are canned.

#10 ·
:agree:

Precisely.

#11 ·
Best way to go is a custom chip but if you can afford that look on ebay for the Edge Evolution. I picked mine up for $50 and love it still saving for the php chip but for now it gets the job done. A buddy of mine still has his laying around I think he was asking $90 or $100 for it if your interested I can let him know.

#13 ·
Best way to go is a custom chip but if you can afford that look on ebay for the Edge Evolution.
I haven't really been active on this forum in forever and you are still out giving bad info. Edge is horrible for your truck. There is a reason that you only paid $50 for it. After it destroyed the previous owners trans he probably wanted it gone. Until you learn about a PSD don't give anymore bad info.

#19 ·
You realize making do with the edge could cost you having to make do with out a motor. The timing and low rpm fueling is not correct with the non custom tuners which causes rods to snap. I've driven a truck with edge, bully dog, banks, and superchips. I like my motor and won't just make do with something that can window my block. You were telling someone look at edge if they cant afford custom, no if you cant afford custom or a new block you probably need to leave it stock. I'm not trying to be a dick but it gets old seeing people give wrong info. If you can't afford to pay don't play. There is no making do with these trucks, you start throwing the wrong stuff at them and they will destroy themselves.

#21 ·
I relize that, this is why I had the High hp tune I run all the time tuned by bill at PHP. Im not saying your wrong and Im not trying to be a dick either just stating my point of view and expirence just like you are is all. You do make a valid point with if you cant pay dont play, which is also why I havnt done my injectors yet since I dont have the money to buy the bigger turbo to support them. I made a simple suggestion to the OP on what he could do, who knows what he decides to do. I still stated that customs are the way to go I'm with you 110% on that one!

#23 ·
The biggest thing with canned tunes, and the reason I will never run them, is the timing and low rpm fueling. They can and will destroy rods and are hard on trannies. When you start pushing more power you are afraid of the wrong timing. Because of the DP 80e tune I still will not run an economy tune because I am afraid of the timing on them.

To the op, the best thing to do is get an sct with custom tunes or get a ts chip with custom tunes. I'd also stick to the bigger name guys for tunes, they are still around because they hold motors together.

#25 ·
I just went through this and posted my choice in the 94-98 section. I ended up ordering a DP tuner F6 with Jody's custom tunes. Here is a link to my reasoning in choice if you care to read. Mind you, others may differ in opinion to me, and some of the free reburn options (matt @ gearhead and Tony Wildman) would cost me a fair amount to ship return from Ontario Canada so I did not consider them as strongly.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-performance-parts/267274-just-ordered-dp-tuner-f6.html

#26 ·
1 thing about dp that will make me never run them, 80eco tune. Do research about that and you will probably have the same view.

on edit: not trying to be a dick to the above poster.

#27 ·
I think over the last year I have read just about every thread on the .org, nation, army and many others. I think it is safe to say Jody knows how to tune a truck, and given the criticism of his timing tables, is probably even more careful now. Some of the thread with people that had issues were tunes that were well over 5 years old now. Some were even used units swapped on a truck and not updated, some were big hybrid injectors, there are sooooo many variables that can "window" a block. I am sure Jody has killed a motor or two, but I think it is not without some mechanical failure, operator error etc playing a part in the picture too. If you run anyones tunes you are taking a chance that you may tnt your motor.

#28 ·
If someone has a reputation for breaking rods I'm not going to use them. I already push enough power on pmrs to risk someone not tuning the motor correctly and fubaring my motor. Especially when there are guys like Matt, Tony, and Johnathan that have a reputation for keeping high hp motors together.

#29 ·
Fortunately we have the power of choice. Jody has tuned many high horsepower motors, as have all the tuners.

#30 ·
Haven't seen jody tune anyone that has over 238s in their truck. Not saying he hasn't but when running that much hp why go with someone who doesn't have a reputation for windowing blocks. Most high hp trucks are running php, beans, gearhead or tw.

#31 ·
I'm in no one's band camp, I haven't even tried jodys tunes but that is an ignorant statement. There are many guys out there with jodys tunes past and present that have or are pushing well over 500 horsepower. That isn't exactly peanuts on a 7.3.

#32 ·
500hp isn't what it used to be, that's a set of 238s. I'm talking about guys in the 600+ ranges. with 250/200s and bigger. If you can't hold a stock motor together why be trusted with a motor that has $10k+ invested.

#33 ·
The 80 Eco and blowing motors was years ago. It seems to me that this site prefers php and beans tunes. Other sites dp tuner Is liked more.

Dp tuner use to be the go to guy for custom tunes but now others are emerging like php and beans. I heard beans is real good with his tunes

Sent from a Apple

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.