Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do NOT get a super chips. They make your truck shift hard as hell. I would go with a 6 position chip with custom tunes. The previous owner installed a superchips on y truck and it suck. If I had the programmer it would be put back on the stock tune.

Sent from a device that's smarter than me

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
No "programmer" is good. Custom tune, on the other hand, are excellent.

Beans or Tony Wildman is the way to go.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
No "programmer" is good. Custom tune, on the other hand, are excellent.

Beans or Tony Wildman is the way to go.

While I agree with the custom tuning advice I disagree on the "NO programmer is good" statement.

SCT makes a great programmer which will give you guages and custom tunes at the same time.

Also I believe that PHP is custom tuning edge tuners as well. Bill writes all the canned ford tunes for edge.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^And none of which I would want compared to a custom chip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the 7.3L motor, if you're looking for a preloaded programmer, the SCT SF3 (3015) is the best that I've found and I've worked with them all. It runs around $379.00. Whereas it comes preloaded, it also has space for 3 custom tunes.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
^And none of which I would want compared to a custom chip.
Custom tunes are custom tunes bro, dosent matter if their on a ts style chip or in a programmer. Plus with a programmer like the edge from Bill or and sct you have the ability to read and clear codes.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Run of the mill SCT tunes aren't custom though.. they are canned.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Best way to go is a custom chip but if you can afford that look on ebay for the Edge Evolution. I picked mine up for $50 and love it still saving for the php chip but for now it gets the job done. A buddy of mine still has his laying around I think he was asking $90 or $100 for it if your interested I can let him know.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Run of the mill SCT tunes aren't custom though.. they are canned.
I understand this, but they can be loaded with custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Best way to go is a custom chip but if you can afford that look on ebay for the Edge Evolution.
I haven't really been active on this forum in forever and you are still out giving bad info. Edge is horrible for your truck. There is a reason that you only paid $50 for it. After it destroyed the previous owners trans he probably wanted it gone. Until you learn about a PSD don't give anymore bad info.

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
I haven't really been active on this forum in forever and you are still out giving bad info. Edge is horrible for your truck. There is a reason that you only paid $50 for it. After it destroyed the previous owners trans he probably wanted it gone. Until you learn about a PSD don't give anymore bad info.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well if it is so horrible why have I not had any issues with it? I read up on it and found it was the better choice out of all the edge products. Been running it for 10,000 miles now and not a single issue from it. Yes i agree chips are the better way to go, but untill I have the money for that im sticking with what I got. If thats not ok with you oh well your not driving my truck.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Do NOT get a super chips. They make your truck shift hard as hell. I would go with a 6 position chip with custom tunes. The previous owner installed a superchips on y truck and it suck. If I had the programmer it would be put back on the stock tune.

Sent from a device that's smarter than me
maybe cause you have the settings messed up or your truck cant run it

mine doesn't shift hard at all,

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well if it is so horrible why have I not had any issues with it? I read up on it and found it was the better choice out of all the edge products. Been running it for 10,000 miles now and not a single issue from it. Yes i agree chips are the better way to go, but untill I have the money for that im sticking with what I got. If thats not ok with you oh well your not driving my truck.
I wouldnt want to drive your truck. I didn't just rig chit up on my truck until I could afford the right stuff. Do you know how edge tuning works? I would never run edge, bully dog or banks. You continue to give people horrible info. Research about these trucks a lot more before you tell more people how to do stuff to their truck.

I would trust my pmr motor running 250/200 with matts tunes than an edge on a forged motor. Do you know what causes the 7.3 to fail? Because almost every noncustom tuner does exactly what causes them to fail.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wouldnt want to drive your truck. I didn't just rig chit up on my truck until I could afford the right stuff. Do you know how edge tuning works? I would never run edge, bully dog or banks. You continue to give people horrible info. Research about these trucks a lot more before you tell more people how to do stuff to their truck.

I would trust my pmr motor running 250/200 with matts tunes than an edge on a forged motor. Do you know what causes the 7.3 to fail? Because almost every noncustom tuner does exactly what causes them to fail.
And now we are in the age old debate of what is good and what isnt. I have no complaints with my evolution. You should try using one and see how it preforms before you slam it. (just saying) I dont just rig stuff up on my truck as you say. I actually did research before I put the tuner in my truck, and found out the original evolution was the best to run if it wasnt a custom tuner. Im sure im not the fisrt guy either to make do with something till he had the money for something better. I did say custom tunes where better then the canned tunes so I dont know how that was bad advice but ok. As for suggesting the edge I was mearly putting options out there, yes its not custom but it gets the job done. shown up more then enough ricers at college lol. Im putting it on the dyno in class in a few weeks and Ill post the results. I know by far she isnt a hotshot, but it gets the job done which is the important thing.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You realize making do with the edge could cost you having to make do with out a motor. The timing and low rpm fueling is not correct with the non custom tuners which causes rods to snap. I've driven a truck with edge, bully dog, banks, and superchips. I like my motor and won't just make do with something that can window my block. You were telling someone look at edge if they cant afford custom, no if you cant afford custom or a new block you probably need to leave it stock. I'm not trying to be a dick but it gets old seeing people give wrong info. If you can't afford to pay don't play. There is no making do with these trucks, you start throwing the wrong stuff at them and they will destroy themselves.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Phew you haven't seen anything yet! I'm not referring to that guy, but man if you haven't been on here in a while your jaws gonna drop when you see some of the info being handed out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts