Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an '06 6.0L. I had a '99 7.3. I'm wondering what is best to do for mpg gains. Intake, exaust, or a tuner. Does exaust affect warranty? The intake doesn't look to hard to put back to stock if you have to take it in. What point do head studs become an issue from having too much power?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I would think a tuner, but I dont know specifics about the 6.0. Pretty much all that increases its ability to breathe, thats what i would guess.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
In all honesty, as soon as you drive the truck off the lot is when you need to look into headstuds for a 6.0, they can go at any time weather you baby it or beat the hell out of it, if they're gonna go they're gonna go..

If you can only buy one, buy a programmer, and pick up a cat/muffler delete kit for around $150 and you'll be happiest.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Jason is being a little Extreme with his headstud description. I have seen 03's get the hell beat out of them and never have a problem, I have also seen 07's with all the "SAFE STUFF" Banks blow gaskets under 5k miles. I guess the question is...was yours built on friday or monday. My 05 took a hell of a beating daily (customers always want to know how it will run), and the only reason it recieved headstuds was because the EGR cooler screwed up and it LOOKED like it needed studs. The gaskets and pistons looked great at tear down, and thats running an Innovative Diesel Extreme Race file daily. Can it happen? For sure. Will it happen? maybe. If its going to happen it usually doesnt matter if the truck is tuned or not, its just gonna happen. If your going for big HP then a custom SCT is what you want, and you can get that with a great ecenomy file as well. Even though the custom SCT will get you the biggest hp gains, the injection timing and all the other perameters that are customized tend to be safer on these trucks than that of other "Off the shelf tuners" Banks, Edge, Diablosport, Superchips etc etc etc...

What we have been doing ALOT of lately for fuel economy is the AFE cat delete (fits factory exhaust) AFE replacement OEM style filter element, and a Quadzilla 65hp module. The 65hp Quadzilla module is very safe, wont smoke, and monitors many perameters while adjusting for hp. Its a very affordable package, and on average is showing 3.5 mpg gains. Plus the extra 65hp is a little boost in the passing lane.

The custom SCT's we get from Innovative diesel are our favorite hands down, but with todays economy the tides have shifted from stump pulling power to "Help I cant afford to drive this thing anymore".

ok I'm done rambling lol!

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Drive slower.

Skip the intake, straight pipe the exhaust and run an economy file from a tuner....

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
The main reason for changing the intake filter is to save cost down the road. Why pay 60 bucks every time you need a filter when you can pay 62 bucks once and clean it as often as you like.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
stop driving it
Good one:rofl::rofl:

I would suggest a programmer, The guy's here like SCT. Run it on Eco tune. That would probably be the best mod for MPG's. If your running steep gears. 4:56/4:10 You could look into some 3:73's but that would be allot of work for little gain.
If your rubber is bad. You could go with a taller tire.
It just depends on how much money you want to spend.
I've heard Synthetic oil will save you a little diesel fuel.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
The main reason for changing the intake filter is to save cost down the road. Why pay 60 bucks every time you need a filter when you can pay 62 bucks once and clean it as often as you like.
I didn't read your previous post and after I did just now it seems like I was suggesting to skip the intake when you said to do the intake. This was not the case...

I concur w/ patrick about the cheaper aspect of it... I was only saying skip the intake since people think they need better filtration or flow then the stock box can give them and that's really not true.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Totally agree. I dont always suggest an intake system unless the customer has big plans.

I also agree that a SCT on economy will give great gains. I was just showing that with the Quadzilla box it can be done very cheap. The Quadzilla, cat delete, and filter can be had for less than $350 bucks plus shipping.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I was just showing that with the Quadzilla box it can be done very cheap. The Quadzilla, cat delete, and filter can be had for less than $350 bucks plus shipping.

With mileage and overall expense in mind, that would be hard to beat!

·
Registered
49 Posts
For milage I would say straight pipe itwith the delete pipes mentioned. Tuner or chip and driver 55-60 mph. I am getting 18 with my dually with my mods. I will switch tires from 65's to 70's and run max psi in them for less resistance. I am looking into a water/meth kit but don't know if I will go that way yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts