Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do the first oil change on my 02' 7.3L. The truck has 93k miles and I want to know what oil and oil filter I should use? This is my first oil change on a diesel. Is there anything I should do differently than I would on a gas engine? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,181 Posts
I am getting ready to do the first oil change on my 02' 7.3L. The truck has 93k miles and I want to know what oil and oil filter I should use? This is my first oil change on a diesel. Is there anything I should do differently than I would on a gas engine? Thanks for any help!
It depends on what you wanna use.

If dino oil - Ford stuff (MotorCraft), Shell has Rotella, Chevron has Delo 400, Mobil Delvac - I'm sure others are there - These seem to be the most popular.

If synthetic - Amsoil, Rotella, Royal Purple - probably others.

Oil change itself is pretty much the same operationally, just remember you'll need something to catch 15 quarts of oil, 15 qts to put back in and the right sized oil filter.

Good luck with that.

Reactions: rsater1

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,721 Posts
I use royal purple in my truck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just did an oil change and put royal purple in just because it was free and didnt notice any difference but i havent checked mileage yet. only 80 miles on new oil so far.
I was just gunna run delo400 if i had to by it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agrees with supercruty: Any of the top named dino oils will work-->Delo-Rotella-Mobil Delvac.-->All 15W-40. If you live in a colder region, ya might think about pouring in a synthetic 5W-40 yr round. If ya use the dino 15W-40? Don't go past 5K miles between your Oil change. If ya use the 5W-40 synthetic? You might beable to go to within the 5K to 10K mile mark without a by-pass system installed. Make sure too use a good oil filter... like
Motorcraft FL-1995
Fleetguard LF-3630
Wix 51734
Baldwin B7039
Mobil 1 M1-601
Amsoil Ea0-99

Clean oil plays a major part in keeping your 7.3L running like new... Never skimp on a cheap oil filter.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
motorcraft oil and filters :thumb:

·
Northwest Stroker
212 Posts
I have always used Shell Rotella in all my diesels, including my old GM 6.2L, which it did wonders for with smoke. My next go around I will try Royal Purple, its gonna be costly but what the heck. Also check out Blackstone Laboratories before you change. Some guys here including me, have their used oil tested when changed. Its a pretty cool deal, they'll send you a whole work up sheet on you oil and whatever other fluids you send them. Filters, I just go with Motorcraft. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Is there any reason I should look at going with synthetic oil? If I do, is it like gas engines where if you use synthetic once you have to use it from then on? Any preferred brand? Thanks again!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use Royal Purple in mine, but mostly because of the abuse and intermittent service she gets, I figure it gives me a bit of a buffer. Or I could be completely wrong :dunno:

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
I use good 'ol Shell Rotela 15-40. I work at Jiffy Lube right now so I get 50% off!!! No more $83.53 oil changes. And I get to top off the leaker all the time which is nice if you have a 7.3, b/c they do tend to leak.

We do have Penn Synth Blend 15-40 that I was thinking about trying on my next change since I'm due. We also have Rotela Full Synth 5-40 that a lot of diesel customers swear by.

Really and truly though, as long as your consistent with changing the oil AND oil filter...your good no matter what you use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agrees with supercruty: Any of the top named dino oils will work-->Delo-Rotella-Mobil Delvac.-->All 15W-40. If you live in a colder region, ya might think about pouring in a synthetic 5W-40 yr round. If ya use the dino 15W-40? Don't go past 5K miles between your Oil change. If ya use the 5W-40 synthetic? You might beable to go to within the 5K to 10K mile mark without a by-pass system installed. Make sure too use a good oil filter... like
Motorcraft FL-1995
Fleetguard LF-3630
Wix 51734
Baldwin B7039
Mobil 1 M1-601
Amsoil Ea0-99

Clean oil plays a major part in keeping your 7.3L running like new... Never skimp on a cheap oil filter.
My International dealer sold me a LF9027, I hope it's the right one! Is it a good filter?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Valvoline SynPower 5-40W with WIX or Napa Gold Filters. (Napa Gold Filters are WIX filters)

I have been using nothing but SynPower 5-40W for the last 10 years or so due having a mixed fleet of gas and diesel engines. It's one of the few oils that exceeds all current service requirements of both gas and diesel engines. I also double the normal service interval. Example 5,000 miles becomes 10,000 miles and 50 hours becomes 100 hours between oil changes. The extended service intervals help off sets the higher cost of synthetic.

Only having to buy one oil for all engines sure simplifies servicing all the cars, trucks and tractors around the place.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have always use Esso XD3 and never had any problem at all

·
Raging Lunatic
8,793 Posts
I use good 'ol Shell Rotela 15-40. I work at Jiffy Lube right now so I get 50% off!!! No more $83.53 oil changes. And I get to top off the leaker all the time which is nice if you have a 7.3, b/c they do tend to leak.

We do have Penn Synth Blend 15-40 that I was thinking about trying on my next change since I'm due. We also have Rotela Full Synth 5-40 that a lot of diesel customers swear by.

Really and truly though, as long as your consistent with changing the oil AND oil filter...your good no matter what you use.
Bingo..............enough said.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use 14Qts of Rotella 15-40 with 1Qt of Lucas Oil Treatment with a K&N Oil Filter

I change mine about every 5-7K my truck sees alot of highway miles and 5K comes very quick. If i am going to do a long haul tow I will change the oil no matter how long it have been

·
Registered
457 Posts
Also.... Have the oil tested for the driving you do. Just because someone can go 10k
on the oil doesnt mean that you can. Contaminates and the HPOP in every 7.3 kill oil. It is very
rare to find any truck that can go over 5-6k before the oil needs changing using test results.

Just because the bottle says you can run it twice as long, it may not be true in your
engine. If running a bypass filter, intervals can usually be extended much longer.

Use a name brand oil, get it tested, change as often as the tests say so.

I change at 5k because that is where the Delo in my engine starts to break down and
the contaminates start heading up.

Reactions: adamwatson

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got off the phone with those Blackstone Lab guys and boy, they are a helpful outfit! Sending me a test kit as we speak. Good stuff

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.