Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who sells the best smoked lenses and lights? Headlights, tail lights, clearance lights, and side mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Don't know if they're the best or not but Recon do make them, they seem pretty nice to me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can't remember who made them, i know it wasnt recon, but I had a lot of trouble with my led smoked cab lights. I would come out of somewhere and one or two lights would be half out and then next time I stopped, they would be back on. I redone all my connections and still had trouble with them. I think it was internal on the light itself. But they sure did look cool

- Bubba

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I've looked at the recon but I've heard some bad reviews before and was wondering if there were any others out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Anzo, Recon, and Spyder all make smoked LED lights. They're are also the "no name" cheapies off of Ebay that many say are just as good, if not better than Recon. That being said, I have Recon and was hesitant about buying them after reading all the negative posts/reviews but I took the plunge and bought taillights, third brake light, and side mirror lights and have been very pleased. Don't have any of the issues with dead LEDs or flickering.

If you want a do it yourself option, there's lots of people that spray the OEM lights with VHT Nightshade. The OEM lights are definitely higher quality than the aftermarket options out there. They fit better in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
who makes those?

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
I'm interested in doing something to my headlights, but all the info is confusing. Apparently you love or hate recon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have nothing against recon, never had them. Just was reading reviews of them and some are good some are bad. Talking about the light isn't as bright unless you do hids, then the fitting isn't the same. I wanted to get smoked lights so that's why I was looking at recon. The plain an simple, he told me he would not recommend smoking his lights.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The Recon headlights suck. They are not bright. The OEM lights are brighter than Recon's projectors. I see they now offer an HID kit for their headlights which are probably a lot brighter but this adds a lot more money to the pricetag of the headlights. The headlights are one thing I'd stay away from. My other Recon products, tail lights, mirror lights, third brake lights, and as of last week, Big Rig amber lights, I've been pleased with. No issues as of now and I've had their products for quite awhile now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Recon headlights suck. They are not bright. The OEM lights are brighter than Recon's projectors. I see they now offer an HID kit for their headlights which are probably a lot brighter but this adds a lot more money to the pricetag of the headlights. The headlights are one thing I'd stay away from. My other Recon products, tail lights, mirror lights, third brake lights, and as of last week, Big Rig amber lights, I've been pleased with. No issues as of now and I've had their products for quite awhile now.
That's exactly why I was leery of them!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
I've seen our trucks with the HID lights and they look pretty awesome, but not a lot of consistent info on where to get them from. Doesn't appear to be very many choices either. Taking them out and sending them to somebody is not an option for me.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've seen our trucks with the HID lights and they look pretty awesome, but not a lot of consistent info on where to get them from. Doesn't appear to be very many choices either. Taking them out and sending them to somebody is not an option for me.

Retro Solutions and DDM Tuning seem to be the most popular kits that people on here are running. I'm running something other than those brands nada experiencing lamp failure in my passenger side intermittently so I won't recommend them to you. By the sounds of it, you're talking about a bi-xenon retrofit. The HIDs are just a swap using the stock housings,anew lamp, ballast, andwiring harness.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Yea sorry I'm not to up on all this headlight lingo. I was trying to find the recent post a guy had of his trucks headlights, but the search function sucks on this app. You could see the light through the lens. Maybe it had other stuff done to it as well like painted. :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The ones from Plain and Simple are very high quality morimoto projectors and HID's....The ford headlight painted and projector installed is around $600 and everything has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The ones from Plain and Simple are very high quality morimoto projectors and HID's....The ford headlight painted and projector installed is around $600 and everything has a lifetime warranty.
Robert is in the process of building my set as we speak.....there is going to be an amber strip going (no in pics yet)in the groove inbetween the top and bottom housing that should look sweet....heres some progress pics he just shot:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts