Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to drop my tank and do the hutch mod and harpoon mod while I'm at it. I've seen 2 versions of the hutch mod. One removes everything but keeps the black plastic foot pre-filter on the bottom and the other removes everything and just uses a piece of 90° copper or stainless steel tubing bent right before the bottom of the tank.

If I open my tank and see the black foot pre-filter broke off of the bottom, I'm going to be gunshy about using it with fear that it will break off again whether while reinstalling the tank or whatever. If I go with the 90° tubing method and install a prepump filter, that would eliminate having to drop the tank again. Thoughts?

· Premium Member
9,839 Posts
You've seen the mod where it's just a pipe ending?

I wouldn't do that.... The "umbrella", first of all, shouldn't be able to fall-off. I mean, the pipe extends down into it far enough (really almost to the bottom) that it wouldn't be able to get off it. Also, you're familiar I'm sure, with the "swirl" in your toilet. Sucking liquid into a small tube will create the same thing and would draw air from the center of the vortex created.

You want that umbrella to actually touch the floor of the tank so that those "saw-toothed" openings in it draw the fuel in evenly from all directions. You can remove the screen if you want, I assume you're going to add some sort of filtration before the pump anyway, so you're capture anything Outside the tank where you can get to it. The important thing is getting that Mixer and it's screens out of there and relocating the return away from the suction side so you're not sending aerated fuel out to the pump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.