Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crazy:Well I'm on here all the time and so I figured I'd see what my fellow ford enthusiasts would recommend for me...I have an 05 f350 dually and my goal is 650HP
CURRENT MODS:
ARP headstuds, titanium headgaskets (from performancemachinemfg.com),EGR delete, banks technicooler intercooler system, S&B air intake, glowshift boost,egt,fuel pressure guages
WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK:
SCT TSX, external oil cooler from BPD

Now here is where I get a littel confused :doh: I wanna make the best combo i can but not sure what to do with the fuel system/turbo systems or any recommended custom tunes? Im ready for the reading from yall knowledgables out there your help would be greatly appreciated:icon_ford:

·
Registered
244 Posts
got a minimum of 10 g's ready to spend?

oh and in b4 a billion "190's and an MTW stage 2" responses LOL.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got about 20k to throw at it Im ready to breed a beast :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
turbo -- I'm assuming a everyone will say "get a mad turbo" so I'll just say $2500-$3500. 650 can be done with nothing more than a boxed 66 for about $1300-1500 also (turbo, uppipes, and pedestal.) compounds are a great option as well. if you have the coin to throw at it, take a look at a 62 over an s475 setup. i just went from a big single vgt to compounds and i love it. compounds will run around 5-6k.
injectors (i'd say 205cc's)-- $2000-3000 I'd recommend full force or river city diesel sticks.
Trans -- $4000
Fuel system (regulated return and lift pump) -- $1000

then the labor to put it all in if you don't plan on doing it.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I recommend Warren Injectors. he has an excellent price/warranty and customer service. Many others will concur as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I like the compounds idea but let me ask this what's your take on the procharger setup from empire diesel I ask simply due to the fact that I like the fact that since its belt driven it gives instant throttle response?

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Ok I like the compounds idea but let me ask this what's your take on the procharger setup from empire diesel I ask simply due to the fact that I like the fact that since its belt driven it gives instant throttle response?
Forget it. Stick with a turbo setup. 205's and an MTW stage3 should do it. Throw a water meth injection on and you are there for sure. A good fuel system with an Aeromotive A1000 or a Fuelab Prodigy pump, sumped tank, new lines from tank to engine and back with a Regulated Return. A ported intake and exhaust manifolds/up pipes would help spool up and response and help make power. Of course all this will require a built trans and new converter.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
His head gasket plans are fine. While they aren't OEM, they are just as good from everything that I have read and are cheaper because your not having to pay for the head bolts that you'll just throw away anyways.

As far as the rest goes, I think Mitch pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would make sure I did ALL of the boring stuff first (including transmission) to set yourself up for the fun stuff. JMO anyways.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Windrunner I see your at 605hp I bet that's still nice hahaha what setup are you runnin really like those numbers including tuning? :eek:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Do it on fuel only. It's the power you never have to refill on. Well, except the fuel tank. You only live once.

I put this in another thread as well, the compounds are proven, can't argue there at all. I had 205/100's and a .76 divided t3 s364 over a 1.32 97mm turbine s475. I had outlaw headers and a gogo intake and ported and polished heads and all that mess. Wicked damn fast and didn't need any special instructions to drive. Plus towing, my brakes were the limit. I told you this in case you need to tow, a single nonvgt ain't gonna cut it for towing.

Then there is the MTW stuff that has been all the rave lately, the turbo itself is expensive, but when you look at all the surrounding stuff for compounds, it's a steal in the long run. Plus, I would think this charger would allow some heavy pulling.

i still have the adII-165 on now, it has gained a bad rep, but mine has never let me down. Go look at a stock car and that'll give you an idea of the fuel system. It looks like a lot, but it isn't.

The tranny, get billet from one end to the other plus a precision converter and the toughest clutches. I had a suncoast and it worked great, until that fateful day it hung in 4th.

For tuning, get it live tuned, skip the email stuff and get it done right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was gonna say the HG's should be fine they come off the same machine as the OEMs and I haven't heard anything bad on em yet and Windrunner really like your setup 605hp at 1116lbs of torque is still a lot of power hahaha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Live tuned? Sorry I'm still kinda in the fog about all the custom tuning and what not?

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Live tuned? Sorry I'm still kinda in the fog about all the custom tuning and what not?
Physically take the truck to the person tuning it so he can actually see the results and work out the tuning live and in person, not via email.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Windrunner I see your at 605hp I bet that's still nice hahaha what setup are you runnin really like those numbers including tuning?
...Windrunner really like your setup 605hp at 1116lbs of torque is still a lot of power hahaha
I do like my setup quite well. It has lots of power, the throttle and turbo response is just as good as the stock turbo (provided the transmission doesn't shift into OD below 50 mph), and the fuel economy is decent at about 16 mpg with mixed driving.

My 605hp/1116ftlb dyno run was on a tune that wasn't even optimized for this turbo. It was fueled more towards the VERY top of what the stock turbo could handle. I'm not gonna claim that I can make more power with the tune I am running now because for all I know it may only make the same or possibly even less Hp but this tune is way more driveable and is actually written for full fuel from my 190/100s. Right now my EGTs cruising are about 760-780F on the flats at 70-75mph. They actually drop down below 700F when I am at like 60 mph. I need to do more testing and live tuning to see what sort of towing capability this turbo has but as of right now, my EGTs top out in the 1500F range at like 100 mph so it should be interesting.

Either way, as previously mentioned, these turbos are not nearly proven enough yet to see what they are capable of; but the future is looking promising with the development in tuning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how are the phatshaft turbos?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
What is your reasoning for 650 hp?...why not 675 hp or 632 hp?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts