Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking for some opinions on what the best way to build a cold air intake is. What are some good filters? What should the flow rate of the filter be? Is it better to run 3" pipe all the way from the turbo back, to prevent turbulence from down sizing? Or run 4" and reduce it to 3", to increase volume at filter and the beginning of the piping? And does a box around the motor side of the filter do anything at all as far as getting colder air?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Look at the 6637 filter mod. Many people run one (including myself) and are happy with it, not to mention it works great. Also put one on our 450 at work and it sees a lot of dust but no problems so far.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
4 inch exhaust from the turbo back.

alligator perf has a good price on iamond eye 4 inch systems.
no need for backpressure on a turbo charged vehicle.

and i second the 6637 intake, cheap and effective. got my dad one

·
Registered
778 Posts
6637 on two trucks and no complaints. Some people say it's too loud, but I personally like the sound and the exhaust covers up most of it anyways.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are gonna DIY your intake instead of the napa 6637 filter which is not rated to be an open filter get an AEM 21-3059DK for about $60 and it is washable.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you are gonna DIY your intake instead of the napa 6637 filter which is not rated to be an open filter . . .
I keep seeing this, but where is this information coming from, and what definition of "open" is being used? I don't see anything at all about it on Donaldson's web site.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
its supposed to filter air whether its in a box or not. its not like it being in a box helps it filter so i dont know where that idea came from

Reactions: sbluke55

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
No! No! & HELL NO!!!

ALL these Washable filters let WAY Too much dirt into your engine. :(
That is simply not true. Take a look at S&B filter flow and filtration numbers. They offer their filters in oiled/washable and paper/dry. Both sets of numbers are very close to stock filter elements for filtration and blow them away with flow. That being said, S&B gets my vote for the best all-around kit on the market. They just updated their 99-03 kit as well and includes a better flowing design as well as silicone couplers.

·
Vendor
13,364 Posts
Oh well if that's what they say, then I'm sure it's true :wink[3]: ( like K&N admits it...)
The biggest bad rep K&N gets with our 7.3's is due to their OEM flat filter. There were 3 different OEM size filters and K&N only made one and called it universal. Well, it didnt seal well at all hence all the K&N filters suck arse on turbo anything. I got first hand experience on my e99 :doh: when I was at NAPA a long time ago and fortunately they had all three filters in stock. :thumb:

Thats why S&B has direct replacement filters for the crappy K&N ones on their site. :thumb: My vote is for S&B too, but the OP already bought an AFE, and you cant go wrong there eiter. Good quality stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.