Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best battery HELP

the batteries in my truck are dead, they will hold a charge for about a week and that's it. The truck sits more than anything as it's not my daily driver however i would like to replace the batteries with something dependable.
I've had a bad experience with Motorcraft batteries from Ford, and the dealership experience is even worse. So, i'll never buy another one of those again.

I heard that Sears DieHard Platinum's were the best for the price, however Sears has discontinued them. Are their Gold AGM batteries any good?

I've heard bad things about interstate as well, but a lot of people swear by them also.

I know Odyssey is good, however i'd prefer not to completely break the bank right now. And Optima's are out of the question, as they're overpriced junk imo.

So... let me know what you guys use and have had good experiences with!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im only on week 1 with my new Duracell Batteries from Sams club.. they were only $105 bucks each! I will tell you I have had a Duracell from Sams Club in my wifes Sante Fe for about 2 years and I have not had any issues, the car starts right up even when its 10 degrees outside!! As for the truck I love them so far, truck fires up alot faster then it use to and for the price I couldn't find anything that gets close in my area.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Ive been running interstates for awhile. If you have an interstate store nearby they usually have blemished batteries at a discount.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the input, but i don't have a sams club membership, and don't need/want one as i have costco. Add $55 to whatever the cost of the battery is. I'll check out Duracell's AGM batteries though, see if i could get one elsewhere.

I've been seriously looking at this DieHard Gold AGM EP-65. On sale for $170 right now, and they're available at the Sears down the street. But, i've found Odyssey 65 for $229 plus shipping also. I don't want to pay over $500 for batteries but i also don't want to buy another junk battery like the motorcrafts i've been dealing with the last 6+ years.

Edit, looks like the Duracell AGM65 at Sams is the same price and warranty as the DieHard Gold AGM. The GF's parents have a Sams membership, but they're in Paris for a week...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Batteries plus has Duracell for 120 each. As an automotive tech, I would not waste my money on expensive batteries, the reality of it is that you probably wont get more life from them per dollar so there is really no point in my opinion. I could put 2 sets of Duracell in for 500 bucks!

I would stay away from AGM aswell,

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
Costco has Interstate batteries.

I stick to Ford Motorcraft batteries. Never had an issues and 105 month warranty.
I had Interstate on my '06 and both went out during warranty. It was prorated. I would've been better off buying new ones.

Reactions: jd4010

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the Exide AGM65 with a 4 year warranty.

I will never purchase another Motorcraft battery again.

Reactions: Beerbait

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found the Exide AGM65 with a 4 year warranty.

I will never purchase another Motorcraft battery again.
you said earlier that after it sits for a week it dies...do you let your truck sit? AGM batteries are VERY finicky, they require very specific charging voltages and once they are killed from sitting you will NEVER be able to bring them back. We are having an issue at work with the Hyundai Geneses G60 that has a AGM battery. if they sit on the lot for a month we are replacing batteries... I would STAY AWAY from AGM they are not worth the money.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I have the Sears Die Hard Platinum's and they will be 4 years old next month. They rip I will say that for them. They are made by Odyssey I believe.

I forget why Sears no longer sells the Platinum but you can get the Odyssey still, only difference is it will be red instead of the grey Sears had. They are good batteries and when I bought them they came with 4 year free replacement and 84 months pro rated. Crazy warranty I'm sure that's no longer the same........

The Optima's are horrible I agree with you. I had my last two crap out in 2 years.

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
Speaking of battery charging..... the Odyssey warranty states the alternator's charge must be regulated between 14VDC and 14.7VDC. Anything outside that range voids the warranty. Something to think about when shopping AGM batteries!

·
Premium Member
11,721 Posts
I've had good luck with SuperStart Extreme from O'reilly's. 3 year warranty, not sure of proration. They're made by Deka/East Penn.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've got two of the Kinetik HC2400 Pro batteries. Very happy with them. They are cheaper now than when I bought mine, yet still pricey. They get abused here with our negative temps and my big sound system, and are still going strong after 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I'm running Caterpillar batteries. When it's time again I'll be installing Oddysseys.

k

Reactions: BTL

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,970 Posts
Speaking of battery charging..... the Odyssey warranty states the alternator's charge must be regulated between 14VDC and 14.7VDC. Anything outside that range voids the warranty. Something to think about when shopping AGM batteries!
There are some threads floating around about this - especially because some aftermarket alternators put out "just under" 15v.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,970 Posts
I have the Sears Die Hard Platinum's and they will be 4 years old next month. They rip I will say that for them. They are made by Odyssey I believe.

I forget why Sears no longer sells the Platinum but you can get the Odyssey still, only difference is it will be red instead of the grey Sears had. They are good batteries and when I bought them they came with 4 year free replacement and 84 months pro rated. Crazy warranty I'm sure that's no longer the same........

The Optima's are horrible I agree with you. I had my last two crap out in 2 years.
+1

Only trouble with having the Sears DieHard Platinum is if they fail under warranty you have to settle for a Diehard Gold replacement!

The Odyssey still has a 3 yr warranty - not bad!

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-WS-AA.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put two of the ValuePower batteries in my 04 F250 6.0L from Walmart. Been running and holding a charge fine for over a year. No issues so far.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
ever look into a battery tender either plug in to the outlet type or a solar unit? you mentioned the truck sits most of the time anyways.

battery tender has a nice 5w solar tender for under $70 that would really keep those batteries topped off and in good condition.

Reactions: john galt and Boog
1 - 20 of 65 Posts