Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am starting to look in and planing for my performance upgrades to my 97 7.3 F250HD crew cab and I have no idea where to start. i know a chip, injectors, intake, exhaust, Gauges are the normal starting point and that's where I am looking at starting. however I have no idea what to go with. I am looking to get good power gains, possibly better fuel millage. and maybe even some black smoke :icon_ford: I have heard and read good things about DIY injectors and will probably go with them. any other help would be fantastic. What works and what doesn't? What should I stay away from?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
First off get yourself an intake, I suggest a DIY with a 6637 filter from napa

Then get yourself a 3" downpipe and an exhaust or you can straightpipe your stock exhaust

Then go onto some guages, if you have an auto then get trans temp, boost and pyro

Then go with a chip, get custom tunes from TW, PHP, DP tuner, Beans, Swamps, etc.

Then I would install an Intercooler, you can use an SD cooler and I would use banks pipes with it.

Then your ready for injectors, and what size you want depends on how much money your willing to spend for other supporting mods for them, DIY is a great place to with injectors from, if your wanting a little gain in power and dont want to have to worry about your turbo go with stage 1s.

Let me know what kind of power you want and budget and we can go from there

·
Registered
523 Posts
Let me know what kind of power you want and budget and we can go from there
In the words of one of my teachers... "Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
You are starting on the right track.
Do a lot of reading and learning before doing any spending.
Gauges and air filter come first for sure.
Everything else, read, read, read, learn learn and then spend.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You are starting on the write track. read alot. and if you have questions about the obs then ask matt p he has been around the block with injectors and custom tunes for the obs. good luck man.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you're looking for power and speed, then you'll definitely want to start from the ground up, and the guys here won't steer ya wrong.

I started with a downpipe back, 4" SS exhaust. (w/ muffler which I want to remove, but I need to check the local laws on straight piping first). I then did a DIY intake, all this just helped my motor to breathe easier. I haven't yet done gages or anything like that, but so far, I haven't done anything that really strays too much from stock, and I doubt I've really increased power hardly at all. (just increased my motors efficiency).

Best of luck in your quest.

mike

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
If you're looking for power and speed, then you'll definitely want to start from the ground up, and the guys here won't steer ya wrong.

I started with a downpipe back, 4" SS exhaust. (w/ muffler which I want to remove, but I need to check the local laws on straight piping first). I then did a DIY intake, all this just helped my motor to breathe easier. I haven't yet done gages or anything like that, but so far, I haven't done anything that really strays too much from stock, and I doubt I've really increased power hardly at all. (just increased my motors efficiency).

Best of luck in your quest.

mike
So are you still runing the stock downpipe? If so I would replace that with a 3" dp before you do anything else

·
Registered
776 Posts
Matt, I'm not gonna hi-jack the thread. PM sent.

mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts