Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just put some carli 2.5" coils on this weekend and now I am pondering if or when to add an adjustable track bar. I don't want to spend a whole lot on one (like $800 *cough ready lift cough*), but if I do, I want it to be built right and to fix my wobble issues. I'm thinking along the lines of Carli, PMF, Baja Customs ($$$), BD diesel, Ultimate Air Ride, any others??

What's the best one on the market, in regards to all aspects, i.e. manufacturers durability, adjustability, servicability, type of joints (spherical, heim (noisy?), rod-end...too many to list), ride quality, wobble fixers, etc. I need help!

I know everyone has their own opinions regarding this stuff, but hopefully there is a clear winner in everyone's eyes and can point me in that direction. Thanks!

Vendor
Don't over-think it is the best advise I can give you. Our track bar is VERY hard to beat for the $345 it costs. The end that connects to the ball joint is angled as to not preload the ball joint to cause pre-mature failure. I have been lifted on 35/37 the entirety of my 91,000 miles and just replaced everything in my factory front end. My Track bar ball joint was still good but it was $38 so i threw in a replacement.

The other end is a 7/8" x 7/8" heat treated-chromoly FK bearing Heim joint. I can count the number of replacement rod-ends that we've sold on one hand and they're to customers in extreme climate and VERY severe use applications. Our bar is overbuilt for the task (that's an understatement). I run my truck through it's paces and mob it through paces this truck was never designed run and have never had an issue. Oh, and Rod-ends only make noise when they're worn out... Never a peep out of mine.

Administrator
I think the ready lift has the best also
I wish they would pull their head out of their asssss with the pricing

but i see everyone wanting an adjustable trac bar then you ask them if their axle is off center and they have no clue even how to check

so make sure you even need an adjustable before you drop the extra $$

some like PMF sell both fixed and adjustable so if your centered fixed will be the cheaper option with less fail points (not that that is usually a problem )

Registered
I think the ready lift has the best also
I wish they would pull their head out of their asssss with the pricing

but i see everyone wanting an adjustable trac bar then you ask them if their axle is off center and they have no clue even how to check

so make sure you even need an adjustable before you drop the extra $$

some like PMF self fixed and adjustable so if your centered fixed will be the cheaper option with less fail points (not that that is usually a problem )
How do you tell if your axle is off center?

Administrator
real basic way

i like to not include tires and find a fixed point or rim contact only but you get the idea of what your trying to verify by that pic

Registered
I have a PMF. It's extremely solid, but the downside is that you have to disconnect one end to adjust it. Kind of a pain until you get it pefectly adjusted. I like the idea of the BDS one that can be adjusted like the drag link, without disconnecting it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
But once you adjust it you don't really have to touch it again...so should only have to do that once right?

Also, I've noticed some used ones for sale. Any problems with those? Besides the joints possibly being worn like OCVeloman said...

Registered
X2 on the used. Suspension, brakes, etc. Is something you should never cut corners on for cost. Not to say a new won't fail, but most used parts in my neck of the woods have been put through the wringer! Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy traveling @ 70+ MPH in a 8,500# truck.

Reactions: JetExpress_6.7

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I have my eye on a used Carli bar. looks to be in decent shape, said he replaced the heim in it just today, had it laying around and figured it would help the bar sell better...grain on salt on that one. Didn't use it for many miles and took it out to put an Icon in. Opinions??

I really do appreciate all of your inputs. I wouldn't get very far without you all!!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
X2 on the used. Suspension, brakes, etc. Is something you should never cut corners on for cost. Not to say a new won't fail, but most used parts in my neck of the woods have been put through the wringer! Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy traveling @ 70+ MPH in a 8,500# truck.
I know what you mean...but once in a while a blind squirrel will find that nut!

Administrator
I always forget who it was but one of the big names had a bushing issue with their bars
and wouldn't cover them under warranty

if I recall they redesigned the bar to use a different setup and left the people with the old design to replace the cruddy bushings often guess what you see for sale more often than a good unit

thats why I get a little nervous with used trac bars I know it was not PMF not Readylift

Registered
Bushings usually fail from not tightening the track bar bolt to 400lbs. I haven't seen any bushings fail if tightened properly.

Easy to adjust bars..Icon and Pure Performance, best priced.

Vendor
I have my eye on a used Carli bar. looks to be in decent shape, said he replaced the heim in it just today, had it laying around and figured it would help the bar sell better...grain on salt on that one. Didn't use it for many miles and took it out to put an Icon in. Opinions??

I really do appreciate all of your inputs. I wouldn't get very far without you all!!
Depending on what he's asking for it, that could be a great deal. If the heim is new, that's basically a new track bar aside from cosmetically.

Registered
Don't over-think it is the best advise I can give you. Our track bar is VERY hard to beat for the $345 it costs. The end that connects to the ball joint is angled as to not preload the ball joint to cause pre-mature failure. I have been lifted on 35/37 the entirety of my 91,000 miles and just replaced everything in my factory front end. My Track bar ball joint was still good but it was $38 so i threw in a replacement.

The other end is a 7/8" x 7/8" heat treated-chromoly FK bearing Heim joint. I can count the number of replacement rod-ends that we've sold on one hand and they're to customers in extreme climate and VERY severe use applications. Our bar is overbuilt for the task (that's an understatement). I run my truck through it's paces and mob it through paces this truck was never designed run and have never had an issue. Oh, and Rod-ends only make noise when they're worn out... Never a peep out of mine.

i am in the market for an adjustable track bar, just saw your post. when you say "our track bar" are you a distributor or manufacturer?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts