Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bent front leaf....

So last night I ran into a stump covered with leaves and it bent the bottom leaf on the front drivers side on my '97 F350, it curled down. The truck rides the same but it looks wrong. If I were to put my jack under it to try to bend it back, is that a bad idea? Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
hwstem

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Unless you have a spring shop that can properly bend it back which would require removing it I wouldn't mess with it because there is a very good chance that you will break it or seriously hurt yourself. I think it would be cheaper to just find a replacement spring and install it. By the way :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I can order you a brand new OEM leaf spring if needed. 30% off of retail pricing. It is a very bad idea to even try to mess with it. If that leaf snaps its going to hurt. I had a few snap on me and its painful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and will it hurt to drive as is for awhile? We have a full shop at work with a shop press, what tools are required to actually do it right?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,322 Posts
Don't do it. It's spring steel, very brittle and stores a lot of energy before moving. Either that stump was 3 feet tall or you hit it going better than 20 mph. If your want to drive on it for a little bit use a torch and cut off the parts that are bent down.

:ORG welcome:

·
Administrator
33,248 Posts
I can't believe it actually bent .. spring steel doesn't usually do that

the bottom flat long spring is really a way to keep the upper springs at a decent rate and then when they start to de arch under load it spreads the the leveling of the spring evenly

I don't see an issue with driving it until it's fixed

·
BANNED by Kris
6,322 Posts
I know, that's awesome! Pics please?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Also agree on pictures. Unless you have the knowledge of how to heat, straighten, and temper springs I wouldn't mess with it.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,322 Posts
:doh::doh::doh:

I've always wanted to use that insert I failed to think of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was one of those impress the girlfriend moments gone wrong haha. i called a local spring shop and thy said $190 to get new spring and im going to get a qoute to fix soon. Thanks for replys everyone!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,344 Posts
WOW :rofl:
Guess there is a first time to see everything lol

I'm gussing she wasn't too impressed huh:lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah we are really going to need pics on this one. Bent a spring? Wow. I backed into a big a $$ tree plowing last winter, popped a shackle and put my spring thru my bed, crushing the rear tank fill tube.... Yours bent.... Dang.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
hwstem, don't know if this is your dd but save yourself some $:) If the shop you contacted has a set of rollers and a good spring man have it cold rolled. If you take the spring out yourself clamp it with "C" clamps cut center pin out remove leaf. It should cost you min shop rate:dunno: Also while your there get new center bolt install with the new leaf in palce. After installation of both leaf and center bolt cut off remaining length of bolt take a punch and crush threads into nut so it can't back off and reinstall in the truck:woot:

·
BANNED by Kris
6,322 Posts
It was one of those impress the girlfriend moments gone wrong haha. i called a local spring shop and thy said $190 to get new spring and im going to get a qoute to fix soon. Thanks for replys everyone!
Ahhh, now I understand how you bent the spring. You speared that ****ing stump.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah we are really going to need pics on this one. Bent a spring? Wow. I backed into a big a $$ tree plowing last winter, popped a shackle and put my spring thru my bed, crushing the rear tank fill tube.... Yours bent.... Dang.
There is a picture on the second page, can't believe it happened..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts