Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this issue. The first time I start the truck in the morning, no issue. As the day goes on, each time I start the truck, the belt squeals when the AC compressor comes on, then after a few mins, it gets quiet and is fine till the next time I start it. Any thoughts? I heard that there was some kind of recall for noisy belts, but problem surfaced in cold temps, where i live it has been over 95 each day for the last month.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine does this all the time as well. It has done it since new, but has definitely gotten progressively worse. I never hear any squeaking in the winter, only when the truck bakes in the hot sun. If I start the truck, head down the road and then turn the A/C on, it squeaks horribly for a few seconds while the pump engages. Then it goes away. It's starting to drive me crazy, and people look at me wondering why such a new truck sounds like that :doh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My truck looks exactly like yours, nice truck! Curious, why have you not taken it in for warranty? I bought mine used, and I have no warranty, so I am trying to figure out the repair before I blindly throw money at it. I find that mine only does it when it is hot as well. If I let it idle for a few minutes, the squeal will go away then it is fine. But yeah, I hate when it draws attention like that.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
This is normal. My 6.0 does it now and then too. My friend with a 6.4 put a better belt on. His factory 09 was really dry. Get a goodyear!

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I sent this in PM to dieselkane earlier:

Tensioners were problematic with the 08's... TYPICALLY the main belt tensioner, not real often the AC belt tensioner, but just because I haven't seen it, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Look up from underneath at the tensioners...make sure the pulley isn't leaning towards the front of the engine.

There was also a TSB on the idlers but that's for cold start squealing.

Also -- might be worth a try to do two things. 1: watch the AC compressor while someone cranks the engine. See if the clutch (the hub on the front) comes on during crank for a few seconds. This is called CASS or Compressor Anti Slugging Strategy. It's to prevent the accumulation of liquid refrigerant in the compressor after it sits (since the compressor is at the bottom). Also, after the truck sits, before you start it, reach up and turn the clutch with your hand (the hub on the front of it). See if it's tight to turn. This can indicate a failing compressor.

Aside from that, not much more I can think of offhand.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Thanks again man!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With every good complaint, should come an equal good comment. I have put 6K on my (new to me) o8 with 50K on it. I love this truck. I tow trailer a lot and this truck has been simply awesome!!!! Got the Spartan, and no issues, except for the belt squealing. But this truck gets ton's of compliments and it pulls like a "Clydesdale",,Love this truck!!!!!!!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had this issue. The first time I start the truck in the morning, no issue. As the day goes on, each time I start the truck, the belt squeals when the AC compressor comes on, then after a few mins, it gets quiet and is fine till the next time I start it. Any thoughts? I heard that there was some kind of recall for noisy belts, but problem surfaced in cold temps, where i live it has been over 95 each day for the last month.

Man, that's exactly how my auto looks until now. It started with an accident. I was driving home when someone who's out of nowhere hit me. I've consulted someone for it but according to him, the compressor was the problem. It has a huge leaked and couldn't function well. Try returning it to the manufacturer and see whether there is still a warranty. Mine was quite old so I can't do such thing. The previous owner was an idiot. You know what, there are several holes on AC comp. What the heck! :doh:

To all the gentlemen that are still present here. please help. I have no idea how to replace an a/c compressor. Any help could be greatly appreciated...Thanks

-----------------------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts