Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a time figuring this one out. My belt keeps fraying and coming apart; about 2 or 3 ribs on the front side of the belt. Any Ideas?

Some background on what I have done so far: I bough the truck about 2 months ago and had noticed that the belt had some of the ribs ripped off but did not think much about it. Shortly after I did an EGR delete and new oil cooler and had a new belt put on. About 2 weeks ago my ac compressor had gone out so I replaced it and 3 days later the belt had frayed apart again and it had a loud squeak. I replaced the belt tensioner and the water pump and the belt again. The belt frayed again the same way the next day but took a couple days to start squeaking again. I checked all the pulleys and the only one that seemed to have any sort of play in it was the power steering but the pulley didnt seem to have any drag in it, but everything does seem to line up. Any ideas on anything else I can check? Im getting kinda tired always replacing the belts on this thing.

Thanks!

P.S. I have been using Gates belts from Oreilly's

·
Administrator
30,740 Posts
P.S pulley play is normal 1/8 or a tad more is ok as long as it doesn't wobble just in and out it self centers

things that come to mind

correct belt ??

there is another idler pulley isn't there it's just not on a tensioner

i would pull a string around the center rib of all the pulleys and look for an alignment issue and really look hard at the condition of all the pulleys

including how easily they free spin good luck

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Power steering pulley

This may not be the OP's problem but I will mention it.
On the 6.0 I have found that my snap-on installer tool does not press the pulley on far enough about 1/16" shy. I have to add a shim to the tool to get the right install depth.

This has caused alignment issues from walking the belt off to cutting one rib completely off the belt.
My tool is over 10 years old so newer versions may work correctly.

Zmann has allready hit on the other factors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I looked at it during lunch and it looked like the belt was somewhat rolling up on the edge of the PS pulley. I will take a string to everything the next time I take the fan and stuff off and replace the belt.

Dannyboy I will look into how far the the pulley will need to get pressed on bc I think that is my next thing I am going to have to replace is that power steering pump. Any ideas for making it go smoother?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Another thing that could cause it is not installing the belt correctly. I'm not trying to point fingers but if your off a rib or two when installing it. It will chew up a belt in a hurry. Before starting the truck double check each pulley and make sure the belt is centered and lined up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, It could be the problem. I was in a hurry the last time I put it on... I will be sure to take a closer look at that when I work on it again. Anybody know what size the fan hex is to take the fan off? Not having a good experience with using an adjustable wrench.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
The power steering pump pulley needs to be flush with the end of the shaft. On too far or not enough will cause belt wear problems. If you're in doubt, take a pic and post it here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts