Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a problem with serpentine belt skipping grooves and rubbing into motor, alternator, tension pulley, or AC wiring?

I bought the truck about a month ago. It had a descent belt on it but looked a little worn and skinnier than it should. I put a new belt on w/ same part # as old, but it wa much thicker. After a couple days, noticed that the belt was rubbing parts and had skipped a couple grooves in the pulleys. It kept getting worse, so i switched old belt back in and it is fine. Any suggestions?:burnout this is random, but I love this little smiley guy with the smoke. I thought it was stacks belchin out smoke and soot, not a burnout!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem, have changed the tension idler sprocket, Tech. Bulletin. That didn't help. I checked all my pullys , found one that had some movement in it, about 1/16 of an inch. Maybe ??? I have gone through 6 or more belts in 120,000 miles. Now I just cut the belts down to 6 cords and so far have not broke any. I would like to have a soultion but have not found one. Help I drive a 1995 powerstoke, with no modifications.

·
Premium Member
9,599 Posts
I was having a problem with that in my truck. I put a new belt on and 3 days later it went to pieces. put the old belt back on no problems. couple days later got another new belt. few days and it went to pieces. put the old belt back on and all was fine. Mine turned out being the tensioner assy. replaced that with new belt and no more problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a 95 Chevy 6.5 diesel that had this problem. On that motor, it turned out to be the vacuum pump mount that was bent and the pump was angled just enough that the pump was pushing the belt forwards.

I tried replacing the tensioner pulley and tensioner assembly as that is usually a culprit, but it didn't fix it. Watch the motor run for a bit and see if you can find a pulley that's wobbling or a non-grooved pulley that might be pushing the belt.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I had this problem on my uncle's 97 7.3 and it turned out that when we replaced the power steering pump and vacuum pump we did'nt get the pulleys in their correct spot once we lined everything up it stopped chewing up belts hope this helps

·
Banned
0 Posts
Belt wear is definately a mis aligned pully....could be...

a bad bearing in any of them...

a water pump going out....

a Powersteering pulley pushed on too far or not far enough...same with the vacume pump...

a bad tensioner....

a bad A/C compressor pulley..

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 95 is jumping a groove on the crank pully and wearing the back of the new belt off I put the new belt on because the old one was wore on the back side, At the time I did'nt know it was jumping on the crank pully. I put a new vac pump on while I was doing this. How do I go about checking the alinment of the pullys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.