Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not so sure this happened because I towed, but I noticed it while I was towing. Normally, I always remember seeing my batteries around 14.2- 14.4 vdc on my tuner display. I never remember seeing it under 14.0. While towing over the weekend I noticed it reading 13.7- 13.9 vdc. I had assumed maybe it was due to the load of the house batteries, brake battery, etc. Thing is, it is still under 14 vdc now even with nothing connected. I know 0.5 vdc is somewhat nominal but I am left wondering if there is something taking a dump on me. It will never happen at the right time. What are some common causes and things to check on the PSD with dual alternators and batteries? Am I crazy for being concerned about a half volt?

·
Administrator
21,550 Posts
its been pretty hot on the east, heat soak makes a difference too.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh, I never gave thought to the temperatures. It has not been uncommon for me to see 100°f on the display lately. I'm guessing I just did not pay as much attention to it before I made the haul up from the low country. I was making mental notes of the various readings- EGT, EOT, ECT, Trans temp, Etc. for future comparison. So I suppose I was actively focused on readings versus passively.

·
Administrator
21,550 Posts
I have seen mine drop in the heat, unloaded, with the AC running.
That said, I wouldn't dismiss completely as it could be a weakening battery or a failing connection.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah @Heavy_GD, I'm going to keep an eye on it for sure. I now know what it typically reads when it's hot as blazes and if it worsens in the coming months I will become concerned.
Anyone know if I can disconnect one battery at a time without ill effects? I was thinking of popping the necative cable off to see if there was a change.
we would live a lot longer without gauges

maybe get stranded a time or two though LOL
No doubt. I don't know how I dared drive across the country in an '89 Subaru wagon. Ignorance was bliss :wink[3]:

·
Registered
319 Posts
we would live a lot longer without gauges
When I was a kid (back in the 60's), being cool meant you installed an ammeter and an oil pressure gauge. Maybe a tach if you could afford it. That was IT! :wink[3]:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts