Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 f350 that I’ve had about 4 or 5 years now without an issue. It has 215k on the original trans and engine and runs great. I got it from my father in law who bought it new and maintained it great. I’m amazed everything has lasted this long but I feel like I’m on borrowed time given this transmissions reputation.

I know of the trans builders everyone always talks about but it seems like everyone waits till they take a crap then try and get it all fixed. Is there a normal or standard method for “bulletproofing” that I can do before it fails and maybe save some money in the long run?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Get a new one, it’ll cost nearly the same in the long run. I did what you are talking about and wish I had put my money in a BTS or Twisted diesel trans instead.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
without an issue. original trans and engine and runs great.
I got it from my father in law who bought it new and maintained it great.
I kept what I felt was pertinent, and what I based my opinion upon. Keep your fluid clean and cool. Continue the regular maintenance, and possibly think about adding an external cooler. Nothing wrong with an autozone unit off the shelf to help out. There’s one thing that will absolutely shorten the life of the engine, transmission, diff, and even the tires-your right foot.

My “from an old man” advice is to open a separate savings or money market account. Every paycheck or month, (whichever works for you), have x dollars direct deposited or transferred to that account. When you need repairs, tires, or whatever for the truck the money is there waiting. I’d be willing to bet something else will happen before the trans takes a dump.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kept what I felt was pertinent, and what I based my opinion upon. Keep your fluid clean and cool. Continue the regular maintenance, and possibly think about adding an external cooler. Nothing wrong with an autozone unit off the shelf to help out. There’s one thing that will absolutely shorten the life of the engine, transmission, diff, and even the tires-your right foot.

My “from an old man” advice is to open a separate savings or money market account. Every paycheck or month, (whichever works for you), have x dollars direct deposited or transferred to that account. When you need repairs, tires, or whatever for the truck the money is there waiting. I’d be willing to bet something else will happen before the trans takes a dump.
Yea the separate account is a good idea, takes some of the sting out when something needs to be replaced if I have an account already with money specifically for that

·
Registered
615 Posts
The stock trans usually fails because of lack of cooling. If you’re running a hot tune or any performance mods, the torque converter is the next weak link. Many people upgrade the valve body as well. You can do all these things, but if you aren’t doing it yourself, price-wise, you’d be better off getting a different trans. I’ll be going with a Sam Wyse stage 1 shortly, which is $3100. And lightyears ahead of a stock trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock trans usually fails because of lack of cooling. If you’re running a hot tune or any performance mods, the torque converter is the next weak link. Many people upgrade the valve body as well. You can do all these things, but if you aren’t doing it yourself, price-wise, you’d be better off getting a different trans. I’ll be going with a Sam Wyse stage 1 shortly, which is $3100. And lightyears ahead of a stock trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not running any tune, just stock. Stock wheels with stock tire size. Basically using the truck for what it was made for I’m its stock form.

·
Hate stupid people
8,510 Posts
just toss on a 6.0 trans cooler and keep trucking.
1 of our farm trucks is a f450 with original 400K+ miles, stock except exhaust and 6.0 trans cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts