Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever attempted to replace the bedplate seal from underneath the engine? Is it even possible?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Think about what it is holding up....the crank shaft. The engine needs to be upside down to remove and reseal the bed plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to let you guys know, to replace the bedplate seal the motor DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PULLED!!!! Regardless of what any of the dealers or mechanics tell you! I found amechanic that tore mine apart and fixed it for way less than the 4 to 5 thousand the dealer quoted. Just thought you may want to know.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Just to let you guys know, to replace the bedplate seal the motor DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PULLED!!!! Regardless of what any of the dealers or mechanics tell you! I found amechanic that tore mine apart and fixed it for way less than the 4 to 5 thousand the dealer quoted. Just thought you may want to know.
yes but it's obvious you don't understand the extent of the repair or you wouldn't have let that happen

·
Registered
533 Posts
Soooo....how did this super mechanic mange to keep the crankshaft in the engine without it being upside down? It kind of holds the crank in......

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
subd,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Just to let you guys know, to replace the bedplate seal the motor DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PULLED!!!! Regardless of what any of the dealers or mechanics tell you! I found a mechanic that tore mine apart and fixed it for way less than the 4 to 5 thousand the dealer quoted. Just thought you may want to know.
Okay. Stupid question. How did this "mechanic" Address the issue of pulling the front and rear covers of the engine? Did he pull the transmission as well as EVERYTHING bolted to the front cover? Was the "repair" successful? Is he guaranteeing the repair? And what did he charge for the "repair" since you don't mind sharing?

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
but didnt you know that the oil jets also serve as piston racks? :hehe:
I guess the "mechanic" must think those cooling jets are capable of supporting the weight of the crank as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
being that I am currently doing a full rebuild on my 03 6.0, I can't for the life of me figure out why even if it were possible, which I HIGHLY doubt, anyone would want to go through the trouble since pulling the motor really is not insanely difficult, but I don't know how it could be possible to do what he claims because there simply is not enough clearance to get at anything without lifting the motor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts