Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
failed safety inspection.... radiator support (on order from LMC truck) and bed supports rotted away. Are there any sources for the bed supports, or dimensional steel that I can weld in? One of the supports has a hole in it and needs to be replaced/patched. Thanks.

· Registered
455 Posts
is this why your truck failed the Safety Check?
they went thru a lot of effort to make this truck break in half,
the frame looks like Swiss Cheese

· Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
23,016 Posts
Google bed supports for your truck. Ebay may have some.

Reactions: JustinOOO9

· Registered
4,558 Posts

· Premium Member
12,035 Posts
failed safety inspection.... radiator support (on order from LMC truck) and bed supports rotted away. Are there any sources for the bed supports, or dimensional steel that I can weld in? One of the supports has a hole in it and needs to be replaced/patched. Thanks.
Once you replace them look into Woolwax or NH Oil undercoating and spray the whole undercarriage liberally. Its not a rubberized product that will rot the truck metal from the inside out. Its a non toxic non drying product that soaks into the pores of the metal like oil. But not the peteroleum oil that eats at all the body mounts, rubber hoses and stuff. Been using it since little before 2016. Saved my truck and worth the 1hr a year in my time every time.

· Registered
455 Posts
what about using Fluid Film?
I see a lot of YouTube mechanics in upper New York State professing how good it is.

they spray it inside every crevice they can get access to with an air source and tubing/nozzles

Reactions: JustinOOO9

· Premium Member
12,035 Posts
what about using Fluid Film?
I see a lot of YouTube mechanics in upper New York State professing how good it is.

they spray it inside every crevice they can get access to with an air source and tubing/nozzles
I used fluid film for maybe 3 years. Its great. I just noticed this:

Woolwax is the same lanolin base as fluid film but last 5x longer. I sprayed Woolwax and its like 90% the same as Fluid film only last way longer and way less smell. I started using NH Oil because its ability to creep 4+ inches inside the envlosed frame portions etc. Fluid film is good, no lies. I just tested them and you'll find the same on research. Woolwax needs to be warmed and stirred to spray right. (I have a commercial grease pump with an airless spray gun and wand from Canada to spray it). I started testing NH Oil with some vehicles and all three are great but I just noticed rust starts from the inside out. So creeping and lasting near as long is more of a rust prevntion that just a longer lasting coating on the outside.

Spraying any of the three is going to help vehicles last much, much longer but I spray roguhly 400+ a year so I got to see what lasted, and what didn't and effects on repeat customers vehicles etc.

· Registered
455 Posts
I used fluid film for maybe 3 years. Its great. I just noticed this:

Woolwax is the same lanolin base as fluid film but last 5x longer. I sprayed Woolwax and its like 90% the same as Fluid film only last way longer and way less smell. I started using NH Oil because its ability to creep 4+ inches inside the enclosed frame portions etc. Fluid film is good, no lies. I just tested them and you'll find the same on research. Woolwax needs to be warmed and stirred to spray right. (I have a commercial grease pump with an airless spray gun and wand from Canada to spray it). I started testing NH Oil with some vehicles and all three are great but I just noticed rust starts from the inside out. So creeping and lasting near as long is more of a rust prevention that just a longer lasting coating on the outside.

Spraying any of the three is going to help vehicles last much, much longer but I spray roguhly 400+ a year so I got to see what lasted, and what didn't and effects on repeat customers vehicles etc.
based on your evidence,
I have to 'assume' that Fluid Film is better to spray into hidden voids, as it foams better, and creeps really good.

But, the WoolWax or the NH Oil is cheaper and even more effective on external surfaces subject to road spray??

· Premium Member
12,035 Posts
@John in OkieLand

No sorry haha.

Fluid film doesnt creep much at all but washes off way easier. Woolwax creeps a little but doesn't wash off easy at all. I would spray NH Oil in any enclosed areas. NH Oil last longer than fluid film but not as long as woolwax. But, NH Oil creeps way farther inside cavities so I just switched completely. I should have explained it easier earlier my bad.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used fluid film on the truck each "rust" season. I'm going to pull the bed and take a look if I can just patch the failed support or if I'll have to replace the entire section.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually looking into getting "antique" tags for the truck. In PA, any vehicle 25 years or older can have "antique" tags with no annual registration or inspection.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bed is off, maybe patch a few areas, not planning to replace every support. Will clean and paint everything while it is off the truck.

Wood Door Rectangle Gas Tints and shades

out with the old, in with the new radiator suppport
Gas Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Metal

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts