Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have some lights under the bed rails and on the inside of my toolbox lid because when it opens it obviously blocks the 3rd brake light/cargo light. I've seen the recon kit and some other stuff out there but don't wanna pay that much. Ran across these cheap chinese LED strips on ebay and wondering if anyone has ever seen/used them?

They are "waterproof" LED strips with sticky backs and can be cut in strips as small as 3 led's. Ignore the flashy colors and strobe stuff, obviously I'd just be using them for white light. (No rave shows going on in the 6.0 bed, unless a stripper pole's installed :D) Thought about running a strip under each bed rail and one on the lid of the toolbox. All opinions accepted, figured $20 for 5M worth a shot possibly.

5M 3528 RGB Waterproof Flexible Strip 300 LED Light IR Remote Controller | eBay

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
I would think they're not bright enough, and once you cut them...would you have to have a second controller/plug?

But for $18 it's worth a try. Order them, then in six weeks when they get here from china, let us know how they work lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think they're not bright enough, and once you cut them...would you have to have a second controller/plug?

But for $18 it's worth a try. Order them, then in six weeks when they get here from china, let us know how they work lol
Haha true, no hurry on them, not like its a part for the motor or anything. That's the only question I had about them being cut becuase the controller looks like it has two plugs, one for each harness on each end of the strip so idk what happens if you cut it. If it was possible to just cut the harness and run wire straight to an upfitter or switch it would be better than that stupid remote, as long as I could get the right color and not pink or something ha.

Here are mine. $56 shipped. Install took about 30 minutes. You could easily put a couple of them in your toolbox.

I do like this a lot, more detail on these for sure! Are they strips or individual? Wired or battery powered? More info on the fast install as well please.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
8pc Truck Bed LED Lighting Kit

Use the "chat" feature and ask if they have any discounts. They'll give you a few bucks off.

They stick on with tape. I have them wired to my upfitter switches. I did not have to provide any of my own parts/tools to install it. It comes with a cheapy switch if you want it, connectors, wiring etc. It doesn't get much easier as far as install goes. The pics don't do it justice. They are bright. Looks cool when you drive with them on at night, too.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8pc Truck Bed LED Lighting Kit

Use the "chat" feature and ask if they have any discounts. They'll give you a few bucks off.

They stick on with tape. I have them wired to my upfitter switches. I did not have to provide any of my own parts/tools to install it. It comes with a cheapy switch if you want it, connectors, wiring etc. It doesn't get much easier as far as install goes. The pics don't do it justice. They are bright. Looks cool when you drive with them on at night, too.
Sweet! Think I might just go this route since its more specific purpose and a really good price. So you run one strip down each rail and then the wiring is tied together I imagine? Then power run up front and switched?

Just by looking at them I'm thinking I could just stick 3 under the rails then the last led on each strip, stick to the lid of my box. Wires should run fine behind the box and around the edge of the lid. It's got foam anywho.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't help myself, for the price I had to buy that 8-piece kit haha. I'll update after install for anyone with a toolbox interested.

Thanks again fordpwrstroke7!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Sweet! Think I might just go this route since its more specific purpose and a really good price. So you run one strip down each rail and then the wiring is tied together I imagine? Then power run up front and switched?

Just by looking at them I'm thinking I could just stick 3 under the rails then the last led on each strip, stick to the lid of my box. Wires should run fine behind the box and around the edge of the lid. It's got foam anywho.
Exactly. Both sides are already wired together. All you have to do is decide where you want to mount them. To accomplish what you're looking to do with the toolbox, you may have to cut off 2 of the lights and spice a longer wire in to reach the toolbox...I think there's 2' in between each light. There is plenty of wire provided with the kit to do it. I would just make sure to heat shrink any of the splices, if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly. Both sides are already wired together. All you have to do is decide where you want to mount them. To accomplish what you're looking to do with the toolbox, you may have to cut off 2 of the lights and spice a longer wire in to reach the toolbox...I think there's 2' in between each light. There is plenty of wire provided with the kit to do it. I would just make sure to heat shrink any of the splices, if you decide to go that route.
Ahh gotcha, yeah I wasn't sure how long the wire in between was but I remember reading it now. If I have to cut I'll do it right since it may be weathered and solder and wrap it.

Got the 5% discount too, so $56 free shipping can't beat it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been looking for something like this for 6 months + now! I am going to purchase this kit right after my wedding! I'll have some disposable income then! lol 2 more weeks. Thanks for posting this fordpwrstroke7!!!!

·
Retired Army
93 Posts
Ordered 2 sets, one for me and one for my brother. Knew I wanted something after I got my bed box but wasn't sure...until now. Anyone try the marine lights from the same site? Only issue I see with those is the short interconnecting cables.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I gotta do this!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts