Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is one of the vids that we use in training.

Notice the girl has static electricity all over her,....she keeps pulling at her sweater and pants...

She puts the nozzle in,..then gets back in her car,...sliding around on the seat,...causing MORE static electricity.

Good thing the flap valve on her fuel tank worked,...and the valve on the nozzle worked,....or this could have been way worse...

YouTube - Fire at the gas pump

Another one,....this is why you don't fill plastic tanks in the bed of your truck,...STATIC ELECTRICITY AGAIN!

YouTube - surveillance cam footage of truck catching fire

moral of the story......touch something metal at the pump ,...to discharge any of your static,....and NEVER fill you plastic tanks in the bed of your trucks.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Tank you forgot the vid man

Edit you must have caught it before i posted:doh:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Wow, those are crazy.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well at least SOME of our government regulations can save few lives every now and then huh?!

If it weren't for all the safety features added to cars an pumps she'd a been a goner!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
man that is crazy

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah....The thing that most people don't realize is,....static electricity isn't +(positive) or -(negative)....specifically,...it could be either.

A liquid splashing into a plastic bucket, generates static electricity,....which will make the plastic bucket a collector ,....then all it needs is to discharge.....no "ground" is needed for static electricity to generate or discharge....

·
Registered
521 Posts
So, How many fires like that do you see at a diesel pump? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yeah....The thing that most people don't realize is,....static electricity isn't +(positive) or -(negative)....specifically,...it could be either.

A liquid splashing into a plastic bucket, generates static electricity,....which will make the plastic bucket a collector ,....then all it needs is to discharge.....no "ground" is needed for static electricity to generate or discharge....
So if I was to fill up a can and it was sitting on the 5th wheel hitch rails would that be safe?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
rubber tires on that 5th wheel right?,...nope...

You may never ever, never, never have a problem,...but it only takes once.
No without the camper. I mean if the can was sitting ON the rails in the bed by itself, where the hitch attaches to, they are mounted to the frame through the bed, with 6 rubber tires on the truck. I just meant so the can was sitting on a possible ground. Or would it not jump from the can to the rails...? That's what I meant. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn't matter how it's mounted,...the car in the first video is on rubber tires too right?

It is the static electricity,...that needs to be discharged...BEFORE...you even touch the nozzle,....and EACH time you touch the nozzle..

I always rub my hands on something steel (pump, safety bars, the building) before I touch the nozzle.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the thing that your not understanding is,...static electricity isn't like A/C(household)- D/C(battery)..

Static electricity,..doesn't need a "ground" to discharge,......static electricity can discharge into the air,...static electricity is most common with plastic,..plastic fuel can, plastic bucket, a balloon.....metal has no effect on "static"

Grounding helps,...but does not fix...

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I think the thing that your not understanding is,...static electricity isn't like A/C(household)- D/C(battery)..

Static electricity,..doesn't need a "ground" to discharge,......static electricity can discharge into the air,...static electricity is most common with plastic,..plastic fuel can, plastic bucket, a balloon.....metal has no effect on "static"

Grounding helps,...but does not fix...
Oohhh. Right, that's the part I wasn't grasping. That makes alot more sense. I should've thought that it doesn't need a path like "regular" electricity, it can go wherever it wants, that's lightning right?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Of course this is the best one I've ever seen....

This guy has the sense to fill his gas can properly....on the ground,..but he forgot something else....lol

YouTube - Idiot of the Day: Gas Pump Guy
BWAAAAAAHAAHHAAHA!!!!!!

That's a riot. The best part is that he had already looked up once before all the people came running over. He looked up and said to himself, "I didn't realize I had walked here" oh well, la la la la WTF?

later

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
This thread has got me thinking now that I should re-think my fill-up procedures. I haven't turned my vehicle off to fuel it up since I started driving diesels in 1993.
I've always known it wasn't the safest thing to do, but after seeing a few videos it gets ya thinking some more....

later

1 - 20 of 43 Posts