Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so I read the write up on the 6.0 monitoring, and one of the things that i am curious about is the battery voltage @ start up!! The write up says to have at least 12.1v prior to starting but when i went to start my truck the voltage was only like 11.6-11.7v ! Is this bad to start it with this voltage? After starting the truck it goes up to 13.5-13.8v or so! Any info on this????

Thanks guys!! (and Gals if applicable!)

:crazy:

·
aka MacGyver
165 Posts
K so I read the write up on the 6.0 monitoring, and one of the things that i am curious about is the battery voltage @ start up!! The write up says to have at least 12.1v prior to starting but when i went to start my truck the voltage was only like 11.6-11.7v ! Is this bad to start it with this voltage? After starting the truck it goes up to 13.5-13.8v or so! Any info on this????

Thanks guys!! (and Gals if applicable!)

:crazy:
With your engine off, and having fully charged batteries, they should read above 12V. If they read less than 12V they need to be charged for a while (that does not mean they are bad). You can charge them by running the truck above 2000 rpm's for a while. Your truck will send a trickle charge to them via the alternator (that is why you got the reading at the batterys of 13.5-13.8V). If your batteries read the same, engine running or not, you have a bad alternator. If the batteries will not charge back to above 12V, you might have a bad cell in the battery. Any auto part store will check and recharge the battery free of charge.

·
aka MacGyver
165 Posts
At what voltage should the battery light come on?
The battery light will come on if there is an issue with the charging system (i.e. Alternator goes bad). It will not come on if there is a bad cell in the battery or the voltage in the battery drops.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
11.6-12v koeo is PERFECTLY NORMAL. No need to recharge the batteries whatsoever.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
But if the batteries are more than a couple years old have em load tested

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Yup Key on Engine Off.

·
aka MacGyver
165 Posts
What the #@!% is KOEO? key on engine off?
Yes, Key On Engine Off. I should have written that out. You have to remember some people on here are more experienced than others. I assumed you would know that acronym. Sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Related question.. my batteries on my 2004 F250 are a combined 1200 CCA and not the 1500-1700 CCA recommended. In this cold weather they die pretty fast, especially when I don't plug in because it makes it harder to start. So my question is.. if my batteries continue to die a lot, will that harm the computer or electronics system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.