Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 12/05 build with the orginal Motorcraft batteries. I have noticed over the last week it has been taking longer and longer to start. Then today while hooking up a trailer (after starting and stoping it a few times with no long idle time). It wouldn't start. It would crank and crank but no start. Started and stopped a few times then if fired right up. I drove it home with a 10K trailer on and it had power (was towing into the wind). I have the new FICM and run Rotella T6 5W-40 all year round. Fuel Fliters have about 8-9K on them and scheduled for change in November (at next oil change). Is it possible my batteries are just weak? I use Motorcraft cetane improver at every tank and have so since new. I am (hopefully) taking it in to have the batteries tested in the AM. There is some corrosion around the battery terminals and some leakage on the top caps of the batteries. I have no fault lights or codes that I can see.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump anyone?

·
Registered
854 Posts
It's probably time to change them, but why not just run down to AutoZone or Oreily's and have them tested to find out? If one or both are bad, as stated above, replace them in pairs. One weak battery will kill a brand new battery pretty quick.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had them tested today and they are junk. New Interstate Batteries are on the way. Hopefully this was the issue and I don't have more problems on the horizon. Otherwise the truck has been running great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts