Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Higher amperage will charge the battery faster and provide more power in the event you're running lots of electronics/accessories.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,998 Posts
Edit - post deleted. Well said 007matman

Reactions: 007matman

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Make sure all of your battery and ground connections are clean and tight while you are at it.
BTL

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Make sure all of your battery and ground connections are clean and tight while you are at it.
BTL
That’s the first thing I did when I hooked them back up. But thanks for the reminder. I can use all the help I can. Truck fired right up and batteries are still good.

Reactions: BTL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went to start my truck today that has been sitting for about three to four days. It started up fine then. Today all it did was click. Jumped it off and battery voltage is only reading 9-10. Drove it around the block and all gauges stopped, ABS light came on, battery light came on and air bag light came on. Radio would not work and wipers slowed waaaaaay down and head lights became very dim.

If battery voltage while running is that low the charging system is not happening. Could be simple as a broken belt. If not alt is suspect. When alt fails you should always check for things that could cause the failure such as loose connections or one of you two batteries going out. Alternators do have end of life for no apparent reason sometime. Take it with you when you go for a new one and let them test it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If battery voltage while running is that low the charging system is not happening. Could be simple as a broken belt. If not alt is suspect. When alt fails you should always check for things that could cause the failure such as loose connections or one of you two batteries going out. Alternators do have end of life for no apparent reason sometime. Take it with you when you go for a new one and let them test it.
Thanks for the advice. I did take it to get tested and it was bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got mad and changed both battery's and all is fixed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Higher amperage will charge the battery faster and provide more power in the event you're running lots of electronics/accessories.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The higher amperage will not charge your battery faster. Just keep up with higher power usage or demand with lots of add on’s. The charging rate is still regulated.

·
5,998 Posts
What I see that he was saying is that your glow plugs take 200+ amps and may stay on for several minutes. Your electrical system takes even more amperage to run. This amp draw is quite a bit more than a standard alternator can provide. Add on to that any serious power draw from aftermarket accessories and it can be hard on batteries. A higher amp alternator will do better at providing the amps needed right from the start, therefore batteries do not get as depleted and the charging process can begin and end more quickly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
5,998 Posts
yes

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Kinda jumping in on the tail of the convo, so this may already be known

I see it was mentioned glow plugs pulling 200 amps, but that is the initial current spike -- they quickly drop to about 80 amps sustained(10 x 8 plugs)
this current draw change happens in about 15 seconds from the initial power up

the glow plugs may stay on for several minutes or cycle back on depending on temperature, but the already heated plugs will draw much less than the initial instance

the light on the dash is, just a light it is only a reminder and does not indicate the glow plugs are indeed on

Reactions: TooManyToys

·
Registered
976 Posts

Because the Leece-Neville 230a has a voltage regulator with a 14.5v cold set point, the GPCM kicks out early to protect the glow plugs from overvoltage.

The 230A stock pulley graph shows the batteries accepting a high charge rate because they had a battery heater that kept them at 75ºF. Battery charge acceptance is based on the resistance of the battery, cold and older batteries have higher resistance so they take longer to change. A battery will only accept a certain amount of charge but it quickly diminishes after startup as the internal resistance rises as it charges.

You can't dump a high current into a battery more then it will accept, but within the first 30 to 60 seconds you can improve that with a larger alternator. But by 90 to 120 seconds, its a wash.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts