Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my truck today that has been sitting for about three to four days. It started up fine then. Today all it did was click. Jumped it off and battery voltage is only reading 9-10. Drove it around the block and all gauges stopped, ABS light came on, battery light came on and air bag light came on. Radio would not work and wipers slowed waaaaaay down and head lights became very dim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
My money's on Alternator. You can have them tested at most auto parts stores.

A new battery would get it started but if it's the alternator it'll die. Next time you have that issue check the voltage out of the alternator (too late now because it probably won't run unless you could charge the batteries first).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a camping trip leaving next Friday. I need o e ASAP. What’s a good one I can get from Napa or other big box stores

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Went to start my truck today that has been sitting for about three to four days. It started up fine then. Today all it did was click. Jumped it off and battery voltage is only reading 9-10. Drove it around the block and all gauges stopped, ABS light came on, battery light came on and air bag light came on. Radio would not work and wipers slowed waaaaaay down and head lights became very dim.

What he said... pull the alternator take it to the parts store and have it tested. Ford got the alternator placement right at least. It has to be the easiest thing on the truck to replace.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a camping trip leaving next Friday. I need o e ASAP. What’s a good one I can get from Napa or other big box stores

Mine came from O'Reilly's. It's been on there a year and a half and no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts

It's hit or miss from the part stores but they are easy to change and many of them around the country. Make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty and take a picture or make a copy of the receipt to keep in the glove box.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok next question. The one on the truck now is a stock one should I go bigger and if so what size

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Ok next question. The one on the truck now is a stock one should I go bigger and if so what size

I would get the larger one the parts store has. Its 135 amp here I think. I believe that's the top alternator for a dual alternator truck/ambulance. It's not much improvement over the standard 110 amp but it seems to have held up much better than the 110, for me anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
If you have AAA you can get a discount at NAPA, just in case.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have AAA you can get a discount at NAPA, just in case.

Cool thanks for the heads up, I do have AAA

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
If you order one online from Advanced Auto and you'll get a code for a 20% discount (usually), then just pick it up in the store. Either way, reman alternators are hit and miss, so you may want to get two, since you're going on a trip.

As far as testing goes, the alternator needs to be hot when tested, so either find a place that can test on the the vehicle, or drive it to the store and pull it there for testing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you order one online from Advanced Auto and you'll get a code for a 20% discount (usually), then just pick it up in the store. Either way, reman alternators are hit and miss, so you may want to get two, since you're going on a trip.

As far as testing goes, the alternator needs to be hot when tested, so either find a place that can test on the the vehicle, or drive it to the store and pull it there for testing.
I’m gonna with a new one. Rather pay a little more the first time and get it right. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to get the old one off

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
Well, new is likely better, but it's still a bit hit and miss. Chain store parts, even NAPA, aren't always up to the task. Hopefully you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m gonna with a new one. Rather pay a little more the first time and get it right. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to get the old one off

Yeah. The biggest challenge is the belt.

I agree with others that new is probably better. Motorcaft would be best. However, remans are a lot cheaper and many of them have lifetime warranties. Keep your receipt and you'll be good.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,999 Posts
I always charge and load test the batteries individually before running a new alternator. Just cautious .... as a bad battery can be hard on the alternator.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided with motor craft. Parts guy said he could do better than list price and gave it to me for $175. Don’t know if that is a deal or not

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,999 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excuse my ignorance but what is better about it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts