Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light on the dash flickers on and off, mostly on and I had both the batteries and alternator tested and they passed with flying colors. My volt meter on the dash stays solid too and I have subs and even with those going it doesn't even dim the lights. Theres a plug on the alternator and if you unplug it the light goes off. So my question is what is causing that reaction and is it ok to drive with it unplugged.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine had a similar issue except for the alternater plug. Check to make sure that the battery cables are tight and making good contact. Mine were tight but my dad suggested to unbolt cables, clean of terminals and cables, apply dielectric grease and retighten. It worked, never had the issue again.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I can deal with the flickering battery light instead of this happening

Well i found out last night the hard way that for some reason that little plug on the top of the alternator means the alternator charges the batteries or not. My truck died cause my gf was watching a movie in my truck while i was cleaning it and it died so i had to jump it. I finally get it started and let it run for like 5 mins so i figured that was enough to charge it for another start so i test it and it is dead again so i jump it again and go take it for a drive and im driving and my lights and everything electrical was slowly dying and i realized i was running on battery power. so i park and jump out and while my truck was slowly rolling back because my p-brake doesnt work and its a 6-speed i had to open the hood and plug it back in and close the hood and jump back in while my truck is still gaining speed in reverse. i finally get back in and rev the engine and everything comes back to life and my air bag light was on. but that went off then next day and everything is fine...soooo yea dont unplug the plug on the alternator.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a few odd lights come on when I had the bad connection. As silly as it sounds ( I told my dad it was stupid) go buy a $1.00 battery terminal cleaner and some battery termianal grease and give it a shot. It will at least give you a better connection regardless and eliminate that as the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts