Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My batt light flickers very dimly while driving. its so dim that I only see it at night. Both batteries are good and alternator is new and charging fine. Any ideas what might be the cause?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine did the same thing after i put a new alternator on my truck. Turned out to be a defective alt. Meter said is was charging fine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The alt may be putting out enough volts but the amps may be low. I had a new alt do the same thing so I replaced it with another new alt and its been fine since.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its brand new from ford. I had it tested at my local advance auto parts and it test out fine...

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,624 Posts
Did you have them test the batteries also? You said the batteries were good, but what test were done (hopefully not just voltage)?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they did a load test on both batteries separate from each other and also load tested the alt.

·
Registered
534 Posts
its brand new from ford. I had it tested at my local advance auto parts and it test out fine...
My Alt tested ok and was also new but I changed it anyways and the problem went away.. Also check all your ground connections.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have you checked the condition of the wires connecting the batteries and Alt? Had a similar problem with mine and turned out it was one of the power wires was, as I was driving, grounding. Have to physically inspect the wires.

On another vehicle, same issue, it was the nut that holds the charge wire to the alt was loose...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the charge wire from the alt to the battery with a 4 gauge wire already, that didnt fix it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts